Day of the DX part 3

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Day of the DX part 3

Postby Kaing of Kaings » February 14th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Ell, today was a major find day with five new stations total, two picked up while I was working.

Started off this morning driving to work and listening to 1690. I have been trying to pick up radio disney from Arvada just like Leeroy did and sure enought I got it. I never heard them ID but I heard them say Radio Disney a couple times and thats the only Radio Disney on 1690. I also heard some gringo that was coming in pretty good and taking over Radio Disney. After looking at Radio Tower Locator I realized that this must be KFSG out of Roseville CA because thats the only gringo on that frequency in the US. So I got KDDZ 1690 Am, Radio Disney from Arvada Co and KFSG 1690 AM, Spanish from Roseville CA.

I was sitting there DXing at work this morning when I heard 1680 KJAK from the NAU Campus in Flagstaff. I am sure it is this because I heard them ID and our new office is close to Campus.

This afternoon, I was listening to this station that was playing old music from the 50s. They IDed and talked about Phoenix and I knew it was 1480 KPHX, Phoenix AZ. The thing is, Radio locator says its a comedy station and this wasn't comedy. I know it was KPHX because I heard them ID a couple times.

Driving home, I was trying to pick up a 1600 station from Cottonwood which is about an hour from here. There are always a couple gringo stations fighting on there but I heard one break into english and say from South Tucson. I'm pretty sure I picked up 1600 KXEW from South Tuscon which is a Tejano station.

I tried to get KSTP from MN as well and heard some talking but it was coming in good and almost sounded religious. I will have to investigate further on that one. HEA.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 14th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Try 1680 for radio disney. Its Fresno RD.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 15th, 2006, 1:14 am

Holy toledo, somebody had fun.... Nice catch stu. Site and maps up to date (and so are mine, ha ha).

That reminds me, I got KMXA tonight while out on my new Walking DX daily walk. It was coming in fairly good on my shitty Kchibo radio along with a few bleeds from neighboring SLC stations (KSL and KDYL).

I plan on taking a walk tomorrow and seeing what the oldies station on 990 is. Its probably a bleed, but I'm not sure. I could hear CBW, as it was playing classical music, but I could aslo hear a far off oldies station playing Elvis music. I also was able to get KFAB on that crappy radio. AH was on KNRS, my favorite station in the valley. KSL is good on FM now for news, but KANG because they support the STUgars.

Oh yeah, I walked past this camera on my way:
http://www.locationpreview.com/countries/view_783.html

Stu which radio do you use primarily to dx either at home or at work. I'm looking to get rid of my shitty kchibo because it just bleeds too much.
I have the Grundig, but its not as portable and the volume is gay (as you remember from camping.)
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Another Radio Disney and Day

Postby Kaing of Kaings » February 15th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Ell, only got one confirmed station today and I'm pretty sure its the one. I got 1680 KAVT Radio Disney from Fresno, CA coming in this morning. I keep trying to get 1600 Cottonwood but no confirmation yet.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » February 16th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Site and maps now updated.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Ell more stations

Postby Kaing of Kaings » February 16th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Got three stations today and heard one of them ID. The other two I got by process of deduction.

This morning, I was still trying to get 1600 Cottonwood and get it confirmed but too many damn gringos on that station. So anyway, one of the gringos busts out and says KGST. I thought it was KEST at first but the G must of sounded like an E. Anyway, I got 1600 KGST from Fresno, CA, Spanish.

Then, on the way home, I flipped over to 1330 and I heard some lady talking in Navajo. I know it wasn't spanish and I have heard Navajo people talk before. She also refferenced Chinle and Red Rock which are in the Navajo Nation Northwest of Gallup and Gallup is a predominately Navajo town. So I'm pretty sure this is 1330 KGAK from Gallup, NM, Talk.

I also heard some english talk station coming in real good in and out and they kept on talking about Tucson and the traffic report for Tucson. That is when I knew it was 1330 KJLL from Tucson, Talk.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » February 16th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Maps and site updated. I did some recounting on the numbers and found my estimates from Flagstaff were too much. You only have 36 stations from AZ specifically, not 39. Your total number of stations received from Flagstaff now stands at 93, and is approaching mine (114). I will try and get a definitive recount for the GR numbers and we'll see how many stations I've really heard from there.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Radio room