Major Changes in S. California/ Baja Norte Mexico Radio!!!

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Major Changes in S. California/ Baja Norte Mexico Radio!!!

Postby leeroy_t » January 14th, 2005, 5:44 pm

So CA DX sources say that Clear Channel will move its Tijuana-based sports talk format from XTRA (690/1150) (XETRA/KXTA) to Los Angeles-based KLAC (570), with 690 taking the music-for-your-life format and 1150 going to a news-talk format.

XETRA has a 77,000-watt signal, but it's directional, going north-south.

KLAC is 50,000 watts nondirectional day and night. It booms across Southern California and recently became stronger ---- although not totally clear ---- in San Diego when a Mexican station at 560, which was interfering with the 570 signal, went away.

KLAC currently carries adult-standard music. Along with KFI (640) and KNX (1070), it has one of Southern California's strongest signals.

XTRA and KLAC are both part of the Clear Channel family, so this is more of a repositioning move.

What this means for UBSTUDIOS DXers, starting February 3rd, WYO and Flagstaff dx should hear KLAC on 690, it may have a new mexican id since this was XETRA. There is a small chance of hearing KXTA on 570. The new station to take over 1150 with the news format will probably not be heard in WYO but possible AZ. So CA dx will be updated in February when all of these format changes take place.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » January 18th, 2005, 11:57 am

I have no idea when I'll be able to dx next, but I'll try to get one of those in FEB if possible.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

KLAC

Postby leeroy_t » January 18th, 2005, 10:00 pm

After Feb 3rd, just try 690 when u are driving at night, I bet you hear KLAC. Doubt u can hear the other two stations.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » January 18th, 2005, 10:02 pm

El, yeah, I may have time to do a brief dx tonight. KDX is running now so I can't do it in my room.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Radio room