freeRL Project

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

freeRL Project

Postby TheStuboy » March 18th, 2005, 11:35 pm

I have plans in the making for a similar-to Radio Locator Database that is free and much easier to use/understand. It will include functions like radio-locator's including:
    Search by frequency AM or FM (might just be AM in the beginning)
    Search by Town and get immediate fringe listings unlike RL
    Unlike RL, include likely to get stations from towns (this will be tricky and will be in dx log towns only.)
    Search by state, call sign, format (with more straight forward formats than RL
    Free for unlimited use, unlike RL which has an assinine bandwidth cap (not to mention easily breakable with proxies hee hee.)
    The same info from RL, but just the needed stuff for intermediate dxers.
    Planned MX integration, since RL has no MX coverage, this would be nice.
    I hope - Faster and easier to use than RL
    You won't see a page that says this: You have exceeded your allotted usage of Radio-Locator for the day.
    Due to resource limitations, we are unable to provide unlimited access to Radio-Locator for all users.

I'm not sure when I will be able to release this onto Ubstudios.com. It'll probably get started this summer as I have to devote 98% of my time to school. I'll keep you up to date as events warrant.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 21st, 2005, 11:38 am

Ell, thats an ambitious project, do you even have the time for it?
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 21st, 2005, 4:24 pm

Started working on it last night, going to need a hell of a lot of pages to complete it. I need to get my cgi-bin working because thats what RL uses. They aren't all on seperate pages, they are in a cgi-bin. I have just borrowed the source code for the pages off of RL's real site and i have a list of proxies ready in case I run out of bandwidth before I'm done. haha!

Its going to be awhile before it appears online.

http://www.ubstudios.com/freerl/indexrl.html

that is the main page work in progress.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 21st, 2005, 5:18 pm

Ell, whats the point if it has the same info as RL, seems like a lot of work for not much difference. How often are you on that site per day anyway?
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 22nd, 2005, 11:08 am

el, freeRL project cancelled, I'm going to see if I can get around RL's daily allotment easier than switching proxies if I can. If I need to use RL extensively, I'll just switch proxies, but there has to be something easier.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 22nd, 2005, 11:15 am

There is a website http://www.bugmenot.com that allows ppl to share passwords for annoying sites like that, but no one has entered a radio locator password in. If I ever use my daily allotment, I find the radio/tv world website has all the info you really need accept you cant search like you do in RL. Anyways, I think you made a wise decision, no use copying everything they have all ready done.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Radio room