VOA coming in on 640???

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

VOA coming in on 640???

Postby TheStuboy » March 9th, 2005, 9:24 pm

I have the ID recorded from Voice of America Washington DC as it was broadcast at 6:59 PM MST on 3/9/05 on 640 AM!!! I have confirmed this with two other radios as KGAB 650 is directly above it. What could be causing this bleed? Could it be something to do with the DormDX2 being hooked up to the radio?

The program that was on was something that sounded like mexican propagaganda but it ended with the ID you can hear below.

I have a question for Leeroy,
What would I file this under, as clearly it was on 640 AM not on Shortwave???

Here is the 14 second ID with yankee doodle dandy at the end.
http://www.ubstudios.com/dx/VOA-Signoff.mp3
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 10th, 2005, 11:12 am

Ell, I think Radio Marti (VOAs Cuba propaganda radio) broadcasts on 640 out of Key West or Miami spewing propaganda into Cuba. Its supposedly like 75-100kw so that is probably what it was! ellll let me look for sure.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 10th, 2005, 11:15 am

Thing is, I don't know of any close stations on 640 that would sound that good. This was early evening, so I don't have any clue what it could be. KFI was barely audible in the background and when this station quit it came in a lot better.

Edit - It might be WOI but that above was the only ID I got, I didn't hear WOI and I listened to it for about 10 minutes.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/info?call=WOI&service=AM

This station has been bugging me for the past few weeks. I last heard it car dxing and it was broadcasting the same mexican stuff. I didn't stay on it long enough to hear the VOA ID but I know thats what it is. It can't be the DormDX2.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 10th, 2005, 11:29 am

El, Radio Marti broadcasts 100kw out of Marathon City, FL with Spanish most likely propaganda to Cuba. It is not on 640, it is on 1180 am but what you could be hearing is the bleed from it. Ive read that it is so powerful it bleeds regularly on the dial.

If they talk about castro its definetly radio marti, they usually just broadcast the same shit over and over. Castro es el diablo, etc....
Last edited by leeroy_t on March 10th, 2005, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 10th, 2005, 11:31 am

El I emailed the Voice of America and asked them about it, but if that is true that will be my first FLA station. hea hea!!!
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 10th, 2005, 11:32 am

that would be coo, wouldnt be out the question since you have heard GA on 50kw, why not FL on 100kw.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 10th, 2005, 11:43 am

There is absolutely no way you could hear it as KFI would be too powerful. I think I caught it at the right time because KFI was almost non existant even after it signed off. I could hear it kinda-sorta through the spanish propaganda talking about bush and Iraq. Did KFI go to low power or something because I read that a plane crashed into both their main and auxillary towers not too long ago.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 10th, 2005, 11:45 am

KFI is still powerful, but what u heard was almost certainly not KFI, Id guess it was Radio Marti bleeding from somewhere. KFIs tower was hit by a small plane killing two ppl, here is a website showing what happened:

http://www.earthsignals.com/images/kfi/
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 10th, 2005, 8:05 pm

I figured out why i am receiving it. The DormDX2 is to blame, I am picking up that same station all over the lower part of the AM dial when the antenna is plugged in. It must be tuned to shortwave or something because I doubt 1180 would bleed onto 640 this far from Florida. The ID still stands and will be moved to the shortwave DX page some time.

Its DormDX2 that is causing me to receive that station. Don't ask me why, it could just be the radio too.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 11th, 2005, 11:30 am

Ell, dont forget to list it on the am page as well as Radio Marti SW bleed. You have BBC SW bleed as well.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Next

Return to Radio room