Running out of stations I can hear

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Running out of stations I can hear

Postby TheStuboy » March 1st, 2005, 10:18 pm

As the school year is shortly to be over at the end of April, I would like to do a few more dxes before I leave Laramie.

I have checked over Radio Locator several times to see if there are any possible stations I should be able to hear and 90% of them I already have. I know I can get at least a few more stations from Laramie but I'm not sure which ones, so heres what I am asking for.

If anyone can spare time, check radio locator, or whatnot and see if there are any big or small stations I should deffinitely be able to get from here.

I will look myself.

There should be a few 50kw stations I don't have from here that I could possibly hear.

Here are the locals that I won't have any chance of hearing anything else on during the day

1030 (on a good day)
850 (KOA)
Anything on RL's Frindge list.

Nights are completely free
Everything is fair game except 1290, 1210, 850
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 2nd, 2005, 12:28 am

Ell, I hear you about the lack of stations. However it looks like I might be moving out to Palm Springs for a new position within my company, in which case I will be able to add quite a bit to the So CA dx list. I wont create a new list since its only 70 miles or so away but I will mark all new stations for the most likely new to come Low Desert (LD) DX.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 2nd, 2005, 10:22 am

I'm deffinitely going to have to create a new list when I go to Utah, because I'll get an insane amount of stations right off the bat. I think there is something like 40 AM stations along the Wasatch front alone.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 2nd, 2005, 10:32 am

Yes, you will definetly need to start a new Utah DX once in SLC. You should hear a lot of the same stuff you would hear from GR but you are much more likely to hear Boise, Reno, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, Not to mention all of CA.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 2nd, 2005, 9:19 pm

It will finally be nice to be in a place where I can hear KBOI half way decent. It doesn't even come in well in GR and I've never heard it here. It'll also be nice to get to hear Portland and/or Seattle better as well. I've heard KOMO from every dx site, but like KBOI, not very good.

What will be funny is that I will be able to get KRKK from SLC possibly too. I have it here and you can probably hear it in Casper but I didn't check. That station will then have the honor of being heard in 3 out of 4 dx locations.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 2nd, 2005, 10:55 pm

Yea, it will be coo for you to dx the NW a lot better, Seattle stations dont travel very far but Portland stations tend to.

Wuss and I dxed KRKK and KUGR on our way up for thanksgiving. KRKK started to come in near Echo where the 84 and 80 split. KUGR came in once we got to the border. So it will be interesting to see if it will come in on the other side of the mountains in SLC.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 3rd, 2005, 2:02 am

This is KRKK's coverage, it goes farther than that because I've heard it in Laramie (albeit not very well, but its there).

KUGR has the same coverage for being 4kw less than KRKK.

I doubt I would be able to hear KUGR from SLC because of KYFO

Its a hess station, I'm surprised you guys didn't hear that one.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 3rd, 2005, 11:45 am

We came up the 189 through Provo and Heber so we werent in the valley of the SL. We didnt start our dx test till about Kamas and we didnt hear KRKK till Echo Canyon. We might have heard that hess SLC station on 1490 but KUGR didnt come in till the border near the exit for Wasatch. According to those maps we heard KRKK about 30 miles further then the distant range and KUGR about 10-15 miles further. Of course with the mountains that way its likely those stations travel further to the east, hence you heard KRKK in Laramie.

We listened to KALL 700 most of the way up from Cedar City, its 50kw during the day. I listen to it at work now on the web as I like the show thats on in the am. We also heard KMTI but at the time couldnt figure out what it was cause it would never ID. We also heard KXOL from Southern Utah but that is no big deal since IVe heard in Missoula, Mukilteo, and Corona easily.

Been doing a quick car dx on the way home most nights, I hear KSL pretty darn clear at 4:00 pm PDT everyday.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 3rd, 2005, 12:05 pm

El it looks like I have a lot of fixing to do for some of the UT stations, I think a few have flipped calls and frequencies.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 3rd, 2005, 1:23 pm

What stations have changed in UT? KALL has changed format to mostly sports, but it still has some regular talk. Dont know what else has changed.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Next

Return to Radio room