Extreme Radio KXTE

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Extreme Radio KXTE

Postby leeroy_t » February 14th, 2005, 10:51 am

Ell, very minor travelling dx occured as we were trying to see how far away from Vegas we could pick up KXTE to listen to Howard. We heard KXTE which has its tower in Pahrump from Barstow, CA on FM 107.5 with 24,500 watts.

Not too shabby considering we were 120 miles away or so. According to radio locator we were just outside its fringe range.

Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Thats cool, its like how I can hear a Denver station from here considering Denver is quite far away KXKL which is 100kw.

I'm pretty far from the frindge area but I can still hear it if I go up on the hill next to the hospital. I can also hear KOSI 101.1 FM from there too, which is Denver and 100kw

I think Denver is close to 120 miles or so away from Laramie, not sure though.

I can also hear KNEB Scottsbluff on FM from here.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 14th, 2005, 2:26 pm

Yea, FM stations travel much further out west then back east I have come to find, I believe it is a result of there being fewer stations west then east. For example, Milwaukee which is only 100 miles away I could barely pick fm stations, and have maybe heard one or two ever. Driving down to Milw you lose the Appleton stations at about 60 miles usually. Out here, you can hear FM stations for 100-150 miles as long as there are no mountains. In Missoula you couldnt hear the fm stations if you were 20 miles away if you were on the bad side of a mountain.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 14th, 2005, 5:42 pm

You were probably line of sight with that Pahrump tower then, and I must be line of sight with the Denver station's towers on the hill. Thats how FM works. If you don't have anything between you and a 100kw transmitter, you are going to hear it for about 100 miles. KCGI or whatever it is here is the country station on 95.1 and can be heard in Rawlins and dies out in Wamsutter because KYCS comes in. That station never ceases to amaze me since there is a fairly large sized mountain range in the way. Also, KSIT can be heard near Elk Mountain breifly when the road gets shitty. It too is a 100kw station.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 14th, 2005, 5:58 pm

Yea, I believe the tower is located high in the Spring Mtns so that it can broadcast to both the LV valley as well as the Pahrump Valley. At Lake Mead once we tested to see if our radio towers had line of sight with those at Death Valley NP and they did some 100-125 miles away. Ell if I could get the GIS data for that area I could figure out what the line of sight from the tower location is.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 14th, 2005, 9:03 pm

El could you do that still?
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 15th, 2005, 10:36 am

Yea, if I could get a digital elevation model of an area and know the coordinate points for the towers I can figure out line of sight. WYO has good data so I could prob do something for there.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Radio room