Cabo San Lucas DX

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Cabo San Lucas DX

Postby leeroy_t » February 23rd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Here are the results from my DX from Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico. First there are only two local radio stations, 1 on AM and 1 on FM, they are:

AM 660 XESJC San Jose Del Cabo 2.5/.25kW playing ranchera music

FM 96.6 XHSJS San Jose Del Cabo playing music and religious programming

It would be too much of a pain in the ass to try to identify all of the Mexican stations I heard as basically the whole dial is filled with something Mexican at night. But there were some stations that were really clear that I think I could identify but that will be in a future posting. I need some time to go through my list.

Here are the US and Mexican Border stations I confirmed from Cabo:

740 KTRH Houston, TX 50/50kW News/Talk (First time Ive ever heard this station)

820 WBAP Fort Worth, TX 50/50kW News/Talk

870 WWL New Orleans, LA 50/50kW News/Talk

1020 KCKN Roswell, NM 50/50kW Country

1090 XEPRS Tijuana, BCN 50/50kW Sports

1200 WOAI San Antonio, TX 50/50kW News/Talk/AH

1520 KOKC Oklahoma City, OK 50/50kW News/Talk

1700 XEPE Tecate, BCN 10/10kW Business News (Formerly XEKTT)

Suprisingly, I couldn't hear anything from California including KFI and KNX. The direction US stations were coming in from was to the northeast of Cabo.
Last edited by leeroy_t on February 23rd, 2008, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 23rd, 2008, 7:20 pm

Strange you couldn't hear KFI or KNX. I am writing a book that soon will take place in Cabo, even though I've never been there hea. Its called Wavelength, and is based on that movie I wanted to make.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 23rd, 2008, 11:05 pm

Ya, I was suprised I couldnt hear KNX, I know KFI has been fucked up since that plane hit their radio tower. It was strange how the TX-OK-NM-LA area was the only area I could pull US stations from, but all those stations I got are flame throwers.

Mexico is a weird place, my pictures on snapfish show how nice the resort was but what you dont see is how ghetto the country really is. Even in a place like Cabo where lots of celebrities have 10 million dollar beach homes. You get off the airplane and you know you are in a 3rd world country. The downtown part of Cabo is quite ramshackle and there is an air of stuness/disorganization to the country that you cant really fathom unless you've been there. The closest thing I can compare it to is if you have ever been on a crappy indian reservation in the US where dirty/stinky ppl are just standing around doing nothing, there is garbage and broken crap everywhere, and dogs are running wild like in Glenrock. Imagine all that, plus seedy Mexican dudes are trying to sell you anything, especially time shares, give you a ride anywhere, hook you up with any type of attraction. When walking through town or on the beach they try to sell you crap and they harass you to eat at there crappy restaurants.

Though sitting in the sun when its 82 degrees in February has its advantages as well, and all though you get bothered a lot by ppl trying to sell you crap, they will leave you alone if you just say no. Oh ya, and I got diahrea the second night I was there. I doubt I was the only one, I heard that word many times from other ppl.

I got some pictures of microwave towers in San Jose Del Cabo, I dont think they were the 2 radio stations in the area. Ill send them to you.

If you are writing a book about Cabo you should A) Go to Cabo or B) Read a book that takes place there to give you a better idea of what its really like.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 24th, 2008, 4:13 am

LOL! You got montezuma's revenge. I've always heard that you never drink the water when you're in Mexico. All the locals have built up an immunity, but who knows what parasites etc, are in the water.

El, send me the link to your pics on snapfish. I'd like to look at them.

Is it the state or the country in general that is disorganized? Doesn't sound like I've heard it sounds. I suppose its because Mexico isn't as rich a country as the US, and it can't or doesn't want to take care of its people. I believe they have Universal Health care though, don' t they?

I got the pictures and will put them on RTLI as soon as I can. It also helps me get a glimpse of the area I will be writing a book about. I have done some pretty extensive research (if you can trust Wikipedia) on places the book will take place, but I haven't done Cabo yet. Right now the characters are in Baja California Norte, in a city known as Ensenada. They have to get passports and such from the US embassy, because some pirates ran their boat off course, and they drifted out of US waters. I believe it will be an interesting read, although I may have to dumb it down like stu said, not everyone knows about DXing or how radio works.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 24th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Ell, I didnt drink the water, had tainted beer, still got bad turtle. I just sent my snapfish photos.

Pretty much anywhere you go in Mexico you get the feeling that things are disorganized. It is probably because they are relatively poor and having things look nice really doesn't matter. The people also seem to not be in any real hurry unlike people in the US.

The Baja peninsula is 800 miles long and is pretty deserted except for at the very north end with Tijuana-Ensenada-Mexicali and in a few cities as you go south. Its all desert, lots of cacti, rarely rains in Cabo, 330 days of sun per year.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 24th, 2008, 7:10 pm

El, you might want to resend those pictures, for some reason my yahoo account blocks snapfish.

Try sending it to this address:

dxfm1019@gmail.com
or
wilkinspeak@yahoo.com
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 25th, 2008, 12:15 am

I resent it to dxfm1019@gmail.com
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » February 25th, 2008, 11:25 am

Okay, that one worked. Hea!
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » February 26th, 2008, 11:54 am

Wusstopher reminded me that the movie Troy was filmed near Cabo, I had heard that while I was there. He said El Arco is in the movie, I also heard a lot of the movie was filmed about 50 miles North of Cabo in Todos Santos.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Radio room