There Will Be Blood - (There Will Be a Milkshake)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

There Will Be Blood - (There Will Be a Milkshake)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » February 2nd, 2008, 5:59 pm

Last night my woman and I went to see Paul Thomas Anderson's (PTA) fifth major picture which happens to be up for an Oscar. So whats it about?

TWBB is about Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-, a man who will stop at nothing to get what he wants, oil and money. He also wants family (represented by his his son H.W. but nothing gets in the way of what he wants, especially family. Enter Eli Sunday (Played by Paul Dano) a self absorbed preacher in the town of Little Boston who happens to know they are sitting on an ocean of oil. Now it comes down to a battle of the man of the cloth vs the man of the oil. I wont give too much else away but lets just say, things don't work out the way both want.

Daniel Day-Lewis should definitely get and Oscar for his roll as Daniel Plainview. The Oscar race is over for best male lead. This is his best performance from any movie I have seen and definitely the best of any actor I have seen this year. Paul Dano is good too as well as H.W. Plainview. The cinematography is awesome and Johnny Greenwood's (from Radiohead) soundtrack if very effective at setting the tone and mood of the scene. PTA's camera direction is also superb as usual and I would have to say the guy has some genius in him. He will definitely be the director to watch in the future and if he doesn't win for There Will Be Blood, he will win on something else in the future.

That being said, this isn't my Favorite PTA movie (Boogie Nights is probably on my top 10 list of all time), but it is still a damn good movie. There are parts that are boring and some which the general audience will not get. I am still trying to figure out some of it but the movie is chalk full of symbolism biblical and and otherwise. It will probably take a couple viewings to figure out what it all means. It is a movie though that I dreamed about last night, and I ams still thinking of it today. It will probably join my DVD collection as well. That being said, 3.7 stars out of four. Surely one of the better films of last year although I doubt few will get it. I also bet Oscar will favor No Country for Old Men for best picture but we will see. There Will Be PUD.

Plainview: "My name is Daniel and you will say I'm a family man. This is my son, H.W. You will also say I am a man of Beat. I will round up all Manthas and Bukies in your town, see, and I will beat. Oh yes, there will be beat."

Plainview: "Now H.W. If I had a milkshake and you had a milkshake and I was wearing a napkin over my head, you would get the effect of DRAINAGE and slober, see. Now see. "
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » April 22nd, 2008, 2:01 pm

Note subsequent viewings of this film certainly help. I saw this again a couple of nights ago at the Brewvies place in downtown Salt Lake City. It is better the second time around since you understand more of what is going on and more of the dialog you may not have heard the first time you saw it.

Also, I figured out a major plot point that helps the end seem better. It deals with his son H.W. See it again and let me know if you catch it (that is, if you don't already know what I am talking about).

I abandoned my Milo! I ABANDONED MY MILO! I ABANDONED MY KITTY! MILO NOOO!

Drainage....DRAINAGE!! I'm an honest man, and a straight forward man, and right now, I must tell you that I farted. I have a feeling it is going to get very stinky pretty soon H.W.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews