Northern Arizona - January 2008 DX

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

My Old Stomping Ground

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 13th, 2008, 9:06 pm

I picked up the trilogy of towers located in Laramie, Wy today. That's right, I got 1210, KHAT, Laramie, Wy, Sports. It brought back memories of staring out the 10th floor window in White Hall at the Snowy Range and he KHAT towers which, along with the cement plant smoke stack, looked like evil glowing red eyes in the night. Thank you DX gods. You rock

Speaking of Canada, you guy's Canada conversation has inspired me to start my next DX and that is for Canada. I figured I should only try th 50/50kw ones so I have a better chance. There are a lot of 50/50s in Vancouver.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 14th, 2008, 11:47 am

Ya, go after the Calgary and Vancouver stations. Lots of 50kW signals
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Ell

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 14th, 2008, 11:20 pm

If there is a KERNel of truth, it is that as of yesterday, I still had a gap in my DX records and today it was filled. This morning I got 1410, KERN, Bakersfield, CA News/Talk. It was coming in and out but I know it was KERN because they were talking about Bakersfield Traffic and weather. I am surprised I still have gaps in my DX record but I have not done a detailed DX study to find out if the DX spectrum is full or not. Maybe that's the wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the...

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 15th, 2008, 5:11 pm

KERN is a hessian republican radio station. If you want to check for gaps, copy your list and paste it in Excel. Then delete everything but the frequencies then run a sort on the list to organize it in numerical order.

Here is my current Gap List

730 Next to KCBS
800 Next to KGO
820 Next to KGO
900 Next to KNEW
1040 Next to KTCT
1060 Next to KTCT
1250 Next to KSFB (1260 KSFB replaced 1260 KOIT)
1540 Next to KYCY and KFBK
1630 Not a frequency with a lot of stations
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » January 15th, 2008, 6:02 pm

El, all I have left as far as gaps are:

1610: Common HAR freq, but nothing around here except bleeds of KXTA and the damn gringo on 1640.

1150: KSL's digital signal wrecks this one to pieces, no way.

900: Stupid radio disney's digital signal ruins this one.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Ell

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 15th, 2008, 10:06 pm

Yea I was actually planning on copying my list to excel. I thought of another thing too. When you get your list of frequencies up, you can sum the number you have on each frequency like if you have 5 1490s and so forth. From there you can look for the ones with smaller numbers like if you have only one 760. You can look for other stations on that frequency and determine the probability of picking up that station based on if it is more or less powerful and how close it is to you. I have been so busy at work and studying for the PE exam, I haven't had time to do much else but I do plan on making my final gap list. hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 16th, 2008, 12:44 am

I filled two gaps tonight, got

1250 KZER Santa Barbara, CA Mexican Station 2.5/1kW

1630 XEUT Tijuana, BN, University Station, plays lots of unce unce, heard it in S. CA 10/1kW

leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 22nd, 2008, 8:26 pm

This morning, I was saying Thank You SIR may I have another. I was saying that to the DX gods after picking up 1010, KSIR, Brush, CO Farm Radio loud and clear.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Ballicus?

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 25th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Ell, I got a new station from a Mexican state no one has picked up yet. This morning, I confirmed what I suspected all along. I picked up 1410 XECF Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico. This is the state just south of Senora located on the Gulf of California. I know it is this station because not only did I clearly hear an ID but I keep on hearing them say "La Mexicana" which, according to the KOMEX page is their nickname. While Radio Tower locater says this is a 1K station, KOMEX says it is 10K. I believe it is the latter. I bet Leeroy and stu might be able to hear this. It comes in pretty good in the morning and at night.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Previous

Return to Radio room