KWWN - Las Vegas (1100 AM)

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

KWWN - Las Vegas (1100 AM)

Postby TheStuboy » January 14th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Las Vegas will soon have another high power DX station we all should be able to hear no problem and may be able to hear right now (or at sunset at least).

KWWN, a new station in Vegas, is owned by Lotus Broadcasting, which owns other Vegas stations such as KBAD 920. When all of it's kinks are worked out with the FCC, the station "should" be a 20kw day timer with 2kw at night, making it an easy dx catch.

This morning I had the chance to do a phone interview with the chief engineer at the station (and Lotus Broadcasting) Bill Croghan.

I asked him about the status of KWWN and he said:

"Right now the station is running at half power (10kw day 1kw night) and is currently in test mode simulcasting audio from our sister station KBAD."

I then asked him when they would be running full power, and he replied "we are still awaiting approval from the FCC to raise the station to full power."

He also mentioned that "a lot of things will change within the next few months" for the station, and that the current article on Wikipedia should not be set in stone (as it never will be actually).

Radio-locator.com incorrectly lists the station as off air when it is anything but. Even at 10kw (half power), the station should be audible over much of the southwest U.S. depending on which way the directional pattern goes. For those of us trying to hear this station, it may be helpful to listen to KBAD first to see what kind of programming it carries (which is sports mainly), I believe they have an online broadcast at http://www.espn920.com then tune over to the new 1100 on the dial and see if you can't hear Las Vegas' newest AM, KWWN. It shouldn't be hard to hear, ESPN stations are notoriously easy catches.

-Justin (Stuboy).
1-14-08.

The phone interview was conducted at 11:30 AM MST 1-14-08.

KWWN's current state can be found on Wikipedia and/or Radio-Locator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWWN
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=KWWN&x=0&y=0&sr=Y&s=C
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 14th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Ell, there is a stu christian station on 1100 in SF so I doubt I will be able to hear this new station. If it were off air some day I could probably get it.

Also, I will be going to Mexico in February, so I will do a dx from Cabo San Lucas. Should be able to hear lots of US stations.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » January 14th, 2008, 6:13 pm

ELLL! I GOT IT!!!!

Briefly while KNZZ was directional, I faintly heard You're listening to ESPN Radio 920.

Since KWWN is simulcasting ESPN 920 KBAD, this is it no ands ifs or butts. Looks like all of there testing works, now I highly suggest you guys to check it out! Stu should especially be able to receive it!
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 14th, 2008, 7:24 pm

El, while I was cleaning up my room, I decided to re-arrange my DX center as well. Currently I seem to only be able to receive stations in the North, Northwest, South and Southwest directions for some odd reason. Anything else, besides locals and 50kw'ers does not come in from any direction other than those above. I decided to rebuild an extremely smaller version of the once popular loop antenna I built a couple years back. This time, I just wound some wire around my contact solution box thus creating the DX-TENNA Portable version.

It works pretty nice so far, already pulling in the AZ station I received less than an hour ago, KQNA. Stu will recognize that station, he most certainly gets it every day.

Here is a picture of this new DX setup. The thing on the left is the Radioshack DX antenna I purchased last year in August. It's been working wonders for my dorm which is filled with stupid ass EMI interference I can't get rid of. I was able to get rid of some of it though, simply by unplugging the VCR, pisses me off about that!

TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Radio room