Northern Arizona - January 2008 DX

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Northern Arizona - January 2008 DX

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 4th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Elll.

While I have not confirmed this by hearing a station ID, I do believe I have the only Radio Disney west of the Mississippi on the frequency of 1290.
Several times in the morning on my way to work, I have tuned to 1290 and heard faint radio Disney commercials and people saying your listening to Radio Disney. That station is 1290 KKDD, San Bernardino, CA Radio Disney. Once again, i didn't hear an ID but I don't know what other Station this could be.

Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 5th, 2008, 12:54 am

Once you hear anything like "Radio Disney 1290" or 1290 Radio Disney, you've definitely got it. RD stations are easy to hear, do you want me to add this or do you want to get it 100% first?
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 6th, 2008, 1:18 am

I got a new AZ and a new CA station tonight

620 KTAR from Phoenix, Ided and was having commercials for Phoneix car dealerships. 4th AZ station heard from Northern Ca.

1270 KJUG Tulare (Central Valley), 5/1kW Classic Hits Country

Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Wyoming Ball

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 7th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Ell, Picked up another station today making January pretty darn good considering it's only the first week of the Stu Year. This morning after an all night blizzard that knocked the power out and made me late for work, not to mention dumped over a foot of snow on the ground, I picked up 1630 KRND, Fox Farm, Wyoming, Spanish. I heard them ID in English and then I heard them say Wyoming a couple times and also Colorado and Nebraska and South Dakota. Been trying to get this one for some time so it's nice it came through. Now if I could only pick up KHAT no Gay HAT.

Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 8th, 2008, 11:35 pm

KHAT (no gay Hat) is 10kw during the day, 1 at night I believe. The towers are south of Laramie near the KOWB 1290 towers (u might be able to hear KOWB too, I have it from here.)
God stu, you are almost 15 away from 300. I'm going to have to get back into the game and see if I can at least tie you.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 9th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Good god, I guess it pays to be located in an interior location when it comes to DXing
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » January 10th, 2008, 12:18 am

No kidding. Thats why GRDX had a good boom for awhile but most of the time spent in GR these days isn't done dxing. Here in Stu Lake, with HD radio taking over, the freaking whole band has gone to shit. Plus I have interference worse than last semester. The dorms have a transformer that is going, and causing a ton of problems, all I hear is a bad buzzing noise wherever I go.

I also have homework to worry about, but I still managed to get two stations last night.

KKMC and CHQT. I find it much easier to confirm a station if it has an online broadcast too, that way I can compare it with realtime and see if its the same.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 10th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Living on the coast you literally are missing half the stations you could potentially hear. CA has tons of stations but all the states around here have very few powerful stations so it would be very hard to compile 300 stations here. Living in 3 locations on the west coast, WA, So CA, and No CA, I've also found it is impossible to hear Hawaiian stations on my conventional dx radio. All Hawaiian stations are 10kW or less, I suspect if there was a 50kW station in Hawaii that I probably still couldnt hear it because Honolulu is about the same distance from SF to the west as Washington DC is from SF to the east.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » January 11th, 2008, 12:26 am

Don't give up hope though, you'd be amazed at the power of sea-water, and what it does to AM signals. Just look all the coverage maps on RL for stations on the coast, a huge chunk of power goes out over the water. I wouldn't doubt you could hear KFI in Hawaii. You might be right about Hawaii stations though, the distance might be just too much.

I've heard the WWVH signal from Hawaii on shortwave, but thats about it. No freaking way I'd get HI from Stu Lake. Too much clutter as it is. HD radio is destroying DXing.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 11th, 2008, 12:44 am

If there were any 50kw stations in Hawaii there is a small chance I could hear them but at 10kw or less and all the other garbage on the airwaves its nearly impossible. If I get to go to Hawaii in the next few years which is always a possibility, I will definetly do a DX. When I was down by Puerto Vallarta I got these stations:

KKOB Albuquerque, NM
KCKN Roswell, NM
KNX Los Angeles
WOAI San Antonio
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Next

Return to Radio room