Zodiac - (Ballderac)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Zodiac - (Ballderac)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » March 3rd, 2007, 8:20 pm

We just got back from seeing Zodiac about the imfamous serial killer who terrorized the San Francisco Bay area in the late 1960's and early 1970's. The case is still unsolved to this day and Zodiac hasn't had any more killings in a long time.

The movie is directed by David Fincher whom directed such movies as Fight Club and Panic Room. I have always liked his style of directing and this movie is no exception. The movie is brilliantly cast with Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo. The movie also has Anthony Edwards and Adam Goldberg. If there is one thing this movie should be noted for, it's the acting. Almost every person in this film did a good job and the three leads did what I thought to be, Oscar worthy performances. Mark Ruffalo did an exceptionally good job and I think he should win an Oscar one of these days.

That being said, there are parts where the story does seem to drag. This movie is 2 hours and 40 minutes long and sometimes you can feel it but I never really lost interest in it. I think if this movie had been acted with shitty actors it would of been a bomb but it wasn't. David Fincher's lighting and cinematography were also well done I thought. The movie makes an interesting case on who the Zodiac might be. Who knows, he may still be out there. Just watch this movie and see.

That being said, this is not David Fincher's most entertaining movie but it does seem like his most ambitious movie to date. It seems like he is stepping it up a notch on what he can do as a director. I think he did a good job overall.

That being said, I would give this movie about 3.35 stars out of 4. I don't feel it is a masterpiece but it isn't a bad movie either. And it did keep my attention.

Mark Ruffalo was notorious for taking out low angle cameras with car doors. This movie was no exception.

Mark: "No I will not re-enact the Brokeback Mountain scene with you"

Jake " I wish I knew how to quit stu."
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 3rd, 2007, 11:04 pm

If your last name rhymes with Buffalo, you should not be taken seriously.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 4th, 2007, 4:40 am

I agree that this movie was fairly entertaining and the performances were excellent across the board. I wish some of the characters had larger parts though, I would have liked to have seen more of Anthony Edwards and his revenge of the nerds character.

Adam Goldberg had a short part too. He has grown a fuzzy beard.

I thought that while the story was entertaining and interesting, the film had a tendency to jump around too much, as if we really were looking through nothing but police reports from the time. I suppose this is one way to make a movie, but it shifts my interest too much if it doesn't have a relative story to back it up.

Not that this film was bad, it just jumped around too much, thats all. The acting was superb, even on behalf of Zodiac himself, or who we think may be Zodiac.

Jake, Robert and Mark are the actors that really make this movie shine.

This isn't Fincher's best work though, I can see connections to his previous films, especially with characters and cinematography, although tihs film doesn't share the same dp as his other films.

Had the date I was on gone better, I think I would have also enjoyed the movie better, but with time, maybe it will live up to the 3.2 stars out of 4 that I give it.

Viewed on Friday, March 2, 2007 at Century 16 in S.SLC.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews