Sundance 2007 - Post review/Flatchup

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Sundance 2007 - Post review/Flatchup

Postby TheStuboy » January 17th, 2007, 11:30 am

I have tickets to see a movie called The Signal. It is showing at the Broadway Theaters, here in Salt Lake. A majority of the movies actually in Park City are sold out according to the website but I plan on going anyways just to see if I can spot any famous people, and see some more movies.

Next year I am going to buy tickets earlier before they sell out.

Viva Las Stuboys progress is good. I am going to add more of the tour of vegas and the night at Ballys next. I am trying to keep things in chronological order as much as possible.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 29th, 2007, 1:45 pm

As a few of you know I went to only one movie at Sundance this year, due to time restrictions and the fact that the tickets were sold out ages before the festival even opened. The movie I saw was actually playing in the Broadway Theater VI downtown and was spillover but still sundance material. It was called "The Signal"

The movie started at 10:30 and didn't get out till nearly 1:00 due to the after film discussion with the directors and cast, which I stayed for.

The Signal's story goes something like this (spoilers)

There is this weird signal infecting everything that uses radiowaves, but primarily televisions. This signal causes everyone but a handful of people to start kililng everyone around them and acting out with rage. Three people have to figure out why this is happening and escape it at all costs.

The film was in three parts directed by three different directors, but all parts flowed into one another seamlessly, and all characters remained the same throughout.

I found this to be the weirdest film I have ever seen, in recent history. I am really surprised this one got picked up during the festival, its god awfully far from a normal Hollywood film. Well, I don't know about Pulse, but this film sure isn't anyhtign I've ever seen.

The short was creepy too, and reminded me of the stuff we do. This gave me more hope that we could one day have our stuff in Sundance, just without all the copyrighted material. The Signal gets 3.2 stars out of 4. Weird, and entertaining, but with a major slow point in the middle. I think it was a pacing problem.

As far as Park City goes, there isn't anything special about it, its just another western town, with more snooty people than anywhere else in this state. The traffic was absolutely nuts, and I happened to get off at the wrong stop causing me to wait 30 minutes in the freezing cold to get to another theater.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see anyone famous, but I've heard reports that Michael Douglas and Kevin Bacon were in attendance. One of my film major friends actually asked Michael Douglas a question during a panel discussion. He said he is a pretty cool guy. Arrreee yooouuu suuuurrre?

I will be adding some photos of Main street which were taken Sunday (yesterday) here when I have time, again though, no celebs sighted unless the guy that looked a hell of a lot like James Cameron counts.

Sundance was fun nonetheless. Next year, I'll try my hardest to get more involved in it. See more films and go to discussions where the stars hang out.

Peace out!
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 29th, 2007, 2:20 pm

Ell, I went to the PS Film Festival last year, it was pretty cool. No celebrities and you could actually get tickets to some of the movies. I bet there were a lot of hessians, reminds of when on South Park they decided to have a film festival.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews