Borat - (You Like My Movie.........NOT!)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Borat - (You Like My Movie.........NOT!)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 4th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Borat is from Kazakhstan TV reporter who gets sent to America to learn about our culture and how we do things different than in Kazakhstan. Borat is a fictional character played by Sacha Baron Cohen who is an English Comedian (You may or may not remember Ali G the rapper character he has played...I never heard of Ali G or Sacha till this movie...Hea).

Borat is filled in a Mockumentary style kind of like the upcoming Vegas film will be (Which we need a name for...any ideas?). Throughout the film, Borat uses his ignorance to piss off unsuspecting Americans. There are many people offended in the movie but at the same time we laugh. I haven't been in the theater this year and heard so much laughter as I did during this film. This is probably the funniest movie of the year.

The sad thing about this movie is it shows how prejudice and hateful some Americans are. "Spoiler" None of this is more apparent during the Rodeo scene where a cowboy gives his opinions on gay people. Borat exposes many of our American idiosyncrasies. There is a funny scene where Borat is in a Christian "Bible Thumping" church and the truth is people are actually like that. I have seen it for real but not as bad as that. You will have to see the movie to understand. Granted this is part of the American way of life, I bet other countries would find it amusing and appalling at the same time like much of this movie is.

I could see how people could be offended by this and some of Borat's sayings. In particular Jewish people, but you have to remember, this is just a movie and it never hurts to laugh at ourselves. One of the main things is American's take themselves too seriously and if you don't have a sense of humor, then you need to get one.

Borat isn't a perfect film but it's a good way to blow 90 minutes that should make you laugh. I give the movie 3.35 stars out of 4. I highly recommend for those who like success and look at America through eyes of ignorant persons. You come see this movie...if not success, then Stu are You....Not.

Borat's American singing debut ends up with boos. I couldn't believe how brave he was in this scene.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 8th, 2007, 1:17 am

Just got backl from seeing Borat! at the cheapest seat ever theater, the Cinemark 10 in Sugarhouse, and I agree with Wuss quite a bit.

Borat! follows a man named Borat (duh) on his journey across the United States after having no success filming his documentary for Kazakhstan TV in New York. Along the way, he runs into (spoilers) Bible praising (and taking too far) people, Prejudice Cowboys, people who are scared out of their minds to even come close to him, and he meets his future wife, who happens to be a prostitute.

Looking back on this, its a wonder this film was made so well. I mean the ignorance of people is just appauling. Here we are supposed to be the greatest country, yet people honestly treated poor Borat like shit. Would this really happen if someone who was really from Kahzakstan came here? You bet it would. We as Americans do take ourselves too seriously, we're always trying to watch what we say. I found the humor coach scene ironic.

This movie, yes, has its disturbing moments, but its all it good fun. I mean how many times are you ever going to see something like that happen in a movie.

Some of this movie was staged, but we as an audience don't tend to notice. How real was it bagging Pamela Anderson, if thats real, then wow, it boggles me how he pulled that off. There were so many points in the movie where you felt sorry for Borat, particuarly the Rodeo.

Its all in good fun though. I applaud Sacha for making such a daring film, in a time when we are all too uptight and need to chill and relax in our lives. I only hope to see a sequel.

Borat gets 3.7 stars out of 4 and is easily the funniest film I should have seen last year.

Its a wonder he got away with such rediculous moments as this, when he proceeded to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting antiques store. From the owner's attitude however, I'd say he deserved it.

Where is the room so that I may make a brown poop in eh?
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews