The Departed - (The Defarted)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

The Departed - (The Defarted)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » October 8th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Just got back from seeing Martin Scorsese film. First off, this is better than Gang Bangers of New York and The Aviator although The Aviator wasn't that bad of a movie. This is probably one of my favorite Scorsese films of the ones I have seen and it is one of his best since Goodfellas.

The Departed stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson and Mark Wahlberg and some other famous people like Alec Baldwin and Martin Sheen. The story revolves around two moles. One is a Boston police mole who is inserted in the Irish Mafia (DiCaprio). The other is an Irish Mafia mole inserted in the Boston Police (Damon). The kingpin of the Mafia is Jack Nicholson who trust Damon to protect him from the police. Things start going wrong though when the moles are suspected and Damon and DiCaprio are on a hunt to expose one another (not in the nude sense you pervert!) and take each other down. The story gets pretty twisty from here and there are some close calls and plenty of head shots.

I wont give away much of the story but I found myself going...oh shit don't do that, or oh no he's a goner many times during this movie. There are some frustrating parts which all good movies have and then there is the ultimate payback.

I thought this film was well acted, and I wouldn't be surprised if you hear The Departed during Oscar season although Martin Scorsese can't seem to win an Oscar from the Academy and is frequently snubbed for his work. Maybe this time will change. Anyways this film delivers, and I was entertained. Anyway, I give it 3.75 stars out of 4. It's not perfect but close and definately one of the better movies of the year.

Wahlberg: It's my big d&8k, I'm the big bright shinny star, I wanna shoot...

Matt Damon: Jesus Mark, your not Dirk Diggler anymore so lay off the smack ok.

Nicholson: Hey kid, never dance buck naked with the devil in the pale moon light. I just like the sound of it.

DiCaprio: Yea. I got it. I've listened to Kitty Workshop too and I know all about the Batman skit....Who are you...I'm Batman...Who are you...I'm Batman....aah ....ahhh....aaaaaahhh..hey where did he go...I don't know I think he fell down and he is naked somewhere...
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 28th, 2007, 3:45 am

I agree with Wuss on this one, The Departed (which I just saw tonight) has got to be one of the best movies I have seen this year (thats 2006 mind you, it was in theaters then). I saw this tonight at my favorite theater after shelling out 9.00 on fandango since i hate waiting in lines.

I was totally blown away by this movie, and it wasn't a headshot, though there are plenty of em. The acting was outstanding, and this has to be one of Damon's (Matt Daaaamon, lol) better roles. I also like Decaprio, his performance and character is fun to watch as he deals with all the stress of being the good guy mole.

One of the things I want to praise Scorsese for is the use of tripods and keeping the camera stable enough that we don't throw up during action scenes. That doesn't mean the camera is always locked down, there's plenty of camera movement to keep me happy. I just am pointing this out because older directors especially Ridley Scott, have gotten lazy and use the stuboy filming method. Good job Martin, you've got a winner in this picture.

I think Jack Nicholson's character is my favorite in the cast, followed by Decaprio. Jack's easy going attitude made him fun to watch, and you grow to know his character as the film progresses.

The story was very original, and had nice twists and turns and close calls that it was rarely sluggish. The action always took a breather, but it was a brief one.

I can now firmly say that if this film doesn't win best picture in March, I'll thoroughly be pissed.

Kudos to the academy for not nominating Dream Girls for best picture, films like that just suck, as it obviously does not beating Night at the Museum which wasn't nominated for anything.

The DeFarted gets 4 stars out of 4, a DVD getter on my end.

Damon: Hey wait for a second, just wait, I'll stop making fun of your performance in Titanic if you stop calling me Matt Damon like Trey Parker idid in Team America World Police!

See, when Batman knocked me over, and my face was smiling, the original script called for Batman to give me a purple nurple, like this.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews