KUDX is on the air.

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

KUDX is on the air.

Postby TheStuboy » May 14th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Yes, I fired up ye ol' AM transmitter this evening and am currently pumping out nothing but retro music. I'm not quite sure of the frequency yet, but it is not on the old 740, its closer to 690ish. According to the binary, I am on 700, but it sounds clear anywhere from 670-720, except for the normal hum that plagued KDX.

KUDX will be the offical call, but its likely I'll call it X700 on the air. I am looking into setting up Icecast so you'd be able to hear it online as well, but that might not happen or it could take awhile. Its likely I won't move it to Utah next fall and it'll probably be a summer only thing.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » May 15th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Ell, isnt KALL on 700 in SLC? You might find a different frequency.

Ell I just upgraded my slow ass computer with more RAM, much faster now for interviews and such.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » May 15th, 2006, 8:33 pm

El, I moved it up to 770. I tried a number of freqs last night but the station sounded shitty last night after sundown. I suspect it is likely just the nature of AM with the more power night stations overriding mine. 770 gets me to the Rec Center, which is at least a quarter of a mile away, maybe even half a mile. I've got it running the same setup it was running whilest in Laramie, except the antenna and freq are modified for G.R. I am going to experiment with other freqs and setups, but right now, 770 is my pick. I'll have to shut it off at night thanks to KKOB though.

I think eventually, I'd like to go down the FM route again. I've been looking at FM txers and they seem to be better than AM. They'd likely get better range and I could dx them better because my car radio sucks when the engine is running. I can't hear my station with my car past my house. With the Subaru and the truck, I get to the Rec Center with a barely audible, but still present station.

The calls may change too. Right now I have no commercials or anything as I am waiting to see which setup gets out the furthest.

The antenna I have now though kicks any previous attempts ass, and is doing further than I have ever gone though. I just played a Coleflatch song!
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » May 15th, 2006, 11:57 pm

Ell, I forgot you are probably back in GR for the summer! hea hea 700 could work but 790 prob clearer.

3 more CA stations tonight including one HAR.

I also briefly listened to SW and got Radio Taiwan Intl.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » May 16th, 2006, 10:41 pm

To avoid (not that it helps) KKOB on 770 at night, I have lowered the frequency to 730 and thats where it will stay for good now. DX730 is on the air.

I'll likely shut her off at night given that the station only goes a block before fading out. It does much better during the day and can reach the rec center, a good half a mile away. All that for 1 watt into a crappy antenna.

The final stats are:

CALL: KUDX
FREQ: 730
Operating Hours: 12:15-7pm Daily
FORMAT: 60s-2000s but mostly retro and classic rock
SHOWS: Retro Afternoons, 12:15-3:15
Range: Half a mile to the south (includes SW and SE), nothing to the north of my house. I lob most of my signal due south apparently. It can be received due east of the center of town, and likely near Smiths with a good radio. Your best chance of hearing the station would be directly east of the highschool, or, right next to my house Cro Magnon.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » May 16th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Cool, you should make a dx range map. expand the range map as u can hear the station further and further.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » May 19th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Here ya go, a handy dandy coverage map. This is only based on what I've tested so I'm sure it isn't 100% accurate.

TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » May 19th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Okay, I need to update the specs again, but this should stay final from now on.

FREQ: 730 kHz (plan on an FM freq later if I can afford it.)
HOURS OF OPERATION: Varies from 6 AM - 7 PM
RANGE: ~.4 Miles EAST ~.7 Miles SOUTH ~1 Mile WEST (SEE MAP) ~.2 Miles NORTH
ANTENNA SYSTEM: PART 15 FCC Compliant and short of the alottment to be exact, hey, its not our fault it radiates well.
POWER: Micro power, 100mw, again FCC compliant.

KNOWN AS: DX-AM730
CALL: KUDX_LP
SHOWS: Retro Afternoons 12:15-3:30
FORMAT: Anything but Rap and Country
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » May 19th, 2006, 7:56 pm

the map rules, keep updating it as u dx the station more. ell, finally got my invite to the pt wedding. on the return card I wrote Oh leeroy, what a ko!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » May 19th, 2006, 11:00 pm

El, I'll be working that day, oh well.

That map is an extreme estimate. I have traveled around town alot today listening to it though, so it is fairly true to where the signal goes.

I also dxed the station around 4 PM, so of course, time of day and distance from the station factored in the testing. I'm guessing that near and after sundown, the station will only get out a block or so given the stronger gringo on 730 from SLC coming in. I'll shut the station down at 7 PM local time due to this problem.

I also noticed a weird phenomenon with the station sounding like a garbled phone call, further from the transmiter and, only in particular directions.

I actually believe the station can go farther west as it seems to be where the antenna points. I'll try it when I get a chance tomorrow or during the week.

I suspect most of my listeners are serious dxers or car listeners because normal stus would pass on the signal quality.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Next

Return to Radio room