A Day Without an Immigrant DX Pulls a Juarez

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

A Day Without an Immigrant DX Pulls a Juarez

Postby Kaing of Kaings » May 1st, 2006, 10:39 pm

Ell, This years MAY DAY has been a pretty good one. I have three confirmed Stations.

First off, I got 1240 KJAA, Globe, AZ, Religious. I should of got this along time ago but I never knew it existed till I did a gap search. Anyway, hea.

Second, I could hear Radio disney in the back ground while KJAA was playing. They were playing Kelly Clarkson and I heard kids saying, you are listening to Radio Disney. It must be none other than, 1240 KALY from Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM, Childrens. It is the only Radio Disney on that frequency.

Next I tuned it to 1300 because I don't have any stations on that frequency. I heard American music mixed with gringo. Then 7:00 PM came around and I heard them ID and it was pretty clear, I heard 1300 XEP from Ciludad Juarez. They played all kinds of stuff like Styx, Gringo, Beatles.... I know this is it too because it is the closest Mexican station outside of the Nogales, Sonora station which goes off the air at 6:00 PM so it wasn't that. I know it is a 1KW power during the day but I looked at some other peoples DX logs and some people from CO got it. So I am pretty sure this is it plus I heard them ID clearly. So HEA.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » May 2nd, 2006, 12:28 am

Ell, cool. I did a gap search as well and got a station on 1240, cooincidence, or do stu minds think alike. Anyways got a few new CA stations today.

1240 KSUE Susanville AH Affiliate
1480 KYOS Merced AH Affiliate
950 KAHI Auburn A's Affiliate/Normally Oldies.

Lots more Gaps to fill, total station count I believe is at 119 for N. CA.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » May 2nd, 2006, 10:24 am

Maps and such updated.

El, thousands of gringos etc. marched downtown yesteday. I could see helicopters circling the area on the way to my last class.

As far as gaps here, the locals are too powerful to get rid of some of the gaps, especially KSL.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Two Stations today

Postby Kaing of Kaings » May 2nd, 2006, 10:10 pm

Since I did my ADOT run this morning I woke up early and hit the road. At around 6:30 this morning the sun was still just coming up so alot of stations were still coming in.

First off I got 1360, KLSD, San Diego, CA, Talk. I clearly heard them ID.

This morning before I left I was listening to my Grundig on 670 and once again I thought I heard XETOR and this time it sounded clearer. However, I am still going to try to confirm it again.

I tryed to just now but instead there was another more powerful Gringo coming in. This was XESOS, Agua Prieta, Sonora Mexico, they were playing quite possibly the dumbest gringo music I have heard. It was slow gringo music with Coyotes. Anyway, I am 100% positive I got this because I heard them Clearly ID (Clearest Gringo ID ever) and even heard them say Agua Prieta, Sonora. I researched and it isn't on TV Radio world but im beginning to think that site isn't the greatest. Other people have DXed this station and it looks like its a 10,000 Watt station. It's located right across the border from Douglas, Arizona. Hea.

http://www.1240keva.com/abdx/ammex/670.htm
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » May 2nd, 2006, 11:56 pm

Ell, I have the same problem Stu does, the local stations KGO/KCBS and the Oakland stations make it really hard to hear the gaps next to them, need a relatively powerful station next to them or you wont hear a thing. New Sacramento station tonight and new Gringo near Fresno. Very difficult to hear Canada from here because the powerful stations line up with the frequencies here. Only one Canadian station to date.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » May 3rd, 2006, 5:12 pm

Actually XESOS is 50kw during the day so chances are it was on day power when you heard it. Most stations switch to day power at 6 AM regardless if the sun is up so you are right, there is a better chance of hearing more stations at or around 6 AM local time.

A good example of this is KRKK in Rock Springs. Its 1kw at night and at 6 in the morning switches to 5kw. KUGR's lights on the tower go off at 6 and on at 6 pm.

Maps and site should be updated by the time you read this.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Radio room