Sheridan DX - November 2022

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Sheridan DX - November 2022

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 1st, 2022, 9:00 pm

Ell, Another hot tip from The Stuboy generated a new find. It was 690, KFXN, Minneapolis, MN, Asian, 1.7/0.005. It was obviously on day power. Thanks Stuboy for the DX tip! Hea.

Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Re: Sheridan DX - November 2022

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 5th, 2022, 3:12 pm

Hea, Yesterday morning I got two 740 stations from Colorado for the price of 1. First off in the in the morning while eating breakfast, I was hearing some right wing shithead talk radio guy talking about having poll watchers all across the country ready to harass voters they suspect are liberals was the gist of it. I looked online and confirmed via online stream it was 740, KVFC, Cortez, CO, N/T 1/0.25K. The right wing nutjob host in question was Glenn Beck and his only affiliate that I should be able to hear was KVFC..

Next up on my way to work, I continued to listen to 740. I was hearing commercials and then a commercial came on for the upcoming Airforce football game. That would pretty much mean I heard 740, KVOR, Colorado Springs, CO, N/T, 3.5/1.5K. That's the only logical station that would be playing a game for an Airforce football game since Airforce is based out of Colorado Springs.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 6th, 2022, 8:30 pm

Hea. Tonight was a twofer for getting stations under the local KROE and KWYO. I was out hunting on a big patch of state land east of Buffalo. It was an afternoon of epic hiking, finding a remote geocache and seeing a bunch of mule deer and pronghorn I couldn't shoot. I got back to the car around 4:50 just as the sun was setting and tune it to 930 to see if KROE was still overwhelming. It wasn't and I heard a country station behind it. When I got to Buffalo, I pulled over and used Radio-Locator and online streaming to confirm it was 930, KRKY, Grandby, CO, Country, 4.5/0.121. It was in good competition with KROE which was relatively weak down in Buffalo at the time.

Next, driving back to Sheridan in the dying light, I tuned to 1410 and heard a pretty powerful AC station playing Sweet Home Alabama and Tiny Dancer. I called up Stu since I couldn't surf the web while driving and he confirmed I was hearing 1410 KOOQ, North Platte, NE, Classic Hits, 5/0.5. I started to lose it around Piney Creek pass near Fort Phil Kearney. Both these stations still count as finds for Sheridan since they are within the 30 miles as the crow flies from Sheridan. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 16th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Hea last night I was DXing and the Stuboy gave me a tip to try 960 to get a station out of Iowa. I was hearing old-timey country music and it wasn't the one out of Iowa. I checked on Radio-Locator on the 960 live stream and sure enough, it was a stream match. Then I heard clearly them ID and a couple of commercials. It was 960 KSRA, Salmon, ID, A.C. 1/0.056. It must have been on high power. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 16th, 2022, 10:54 pm

Ell,
Tonight was a quality DX night. I was listening to 1600 for 1600 KVRI, Blaine, WA, Asian, 50/10K. It was barely coming in behind the jumble but for a short bit started coming in stronger and matched the nearby SDR in Seattle.

Then I switched over to 1590 and heard a wah lady on Relevant Radio complaining that her daughter didn't get married to a catholic. It was 1590, KLFE, Seattle, Religious, 20/5K. It was matching the SDR perfectly. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 19th, 2022, 8:13 pm

Hea,
Tonight I DXed and per Stuboy's earlier recommendation, I tuned to 1300 to try and get 1300, KGLO, Mason City, IA, N/T, 5K. To no surprise to Stuboy, I was able to hear it. They were broadcasting a MN vs IA football game and then I heard a clear ID. KLER out of Orofino, Idaho, an old local from my Grangeville days, was coming in pretty strong as well. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 20th, 2022, 10:02 pm

Ell. Tonight the DX gods were smiling down. I was up north of town hunting whitetail deer. I didn't get any but managed to spook a whitetail within minutes of starting my hike. I had a little mule deer doe come up and visit me while sitting in my perch but couldn't get her as she wasn't in season. Anyway, I headed back to the car around 5:00 PM and tuned into 1420 to see if 1410 KWYO interference was bad where I was. It wasn't and the dial sounded normal with no interference so I listened to a sports station that soon identified as 1420 KGIM, Aberdeen, SD, Sports, 1/0.232K.

I then switched to 920 to see if there was any bad interference there. There wasn't but 930 was still going. I listened and heard a country station and then heard a clear ID for 920, CFRY, Portage la Prairie, MB, 20/15K. It was coming in fairly good.

I decided to go back to 1410 and I couldn't hear KWYO. Turns out, it was off air tonight or on extremely low power to where I couldn't hear it in town. As I was driving back home, I clearly heard an ID and ads for 1410, KRWB, Roseau, MN, Classic Rock, 1K. It was coming in pretty good for a 1K station up at the northern end of Minnesota.

I got home, took a shower, and fired up the Eton to see if 1410 was still off. It still was. I got the loop antenna out and clearly heard an ID for 1410, WIZM, La Crosse, WI, N/T 5K.

I then was hearing Harry Styles-Watermelon Sugar on 1410. I finally tracked it down to 1410, KLEM, Le Mars, IA, AC, 1/0.05. It was matching the online stream. This is one of Lemmi's favorite radio stations BTW.

I have been hearing a country station on 1410 on and off all night and still have not been able to confirm what it is.

Later in in the evening, I tuned to 1410 again and KWYO was still off. I ended up hearing a U2 song fade into sports talk. I checked the online stream for 1410, CFTE and heard the same exact U2 song fade into sports talk, especially regarding Canadian sports. This was definitely 1410 CFTE, Vancouver, BC, Biz Talk, 50K.

Finally right before I went to bed around 10:00 I heard country again on 1410 and heard, Shania Twain singing "Man, I feel like a Woman!" I tuned to the Fort Collins SDR since 1410, KIIX, Fort Collins, CO, Country, 1K online stream wasn't working. I clearly heard the same song coming in clear on the Fort Collins SDR. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 29th, 2022, 9:07 pm

Hea,
It's funny how DXing in other places can help you DX at home. That's the case tonight with 1560, KLNG, Council Bluffs, IA, Religious, 10/1K
I matched it with online stream.

Next I went over to 1050 KLOH, Pipestone, MN, Country. They were playing friends in low places which matched the online stream. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 30th, 2022, 9:16 pm

Hea. This morning on my way to work I was trying for 1600 KDAK out of North Dakota but as I was driving close to work, I hard the NPR News theme and the lady who reads the news in the morning reading off the news. This can only be 1600 KOPB, Eugene, OR, Public Radio, 5/1. I hear that news theme all the time on my local NPR radio so I knew that was it!

Tonight on the Eton, I was hearing the Mark Levin show on 1470. The only station out west that matched online stream and SDR was 1470, KYYW, Abilene, TX, N/T, 5/1. Hea

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Radio room