Sheridan DX - January 2021

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Sheridan DX - January 2021

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 1st, 2021, 7:32 pm

Ell,
Tonight while sitting on the back porch having a good fire as the sun was setting, I was able to pick up three new stations in the year of our Kaingdom 2021. Using the new ETON radio, I was checking the frequencies where there was only one station found so if I heard more than 1 on there, I knew it would be something new. First off I got 700 KXLX, Airway Heights, WA, 10/6, Sports. This was always a strong one back in Grangeville. I confirmed it online as there were two of the same football games on that frequency with the other being KALL from UT. I confirmed online.

Next up I went over to 900 and heard loud country music. That was from Saskatchewan which Justin already had but I nulled that and heard a Canadian lady reading the news. I confirmed online that it was 900 CHML, Hamilton, ON, N/T, 50K. It was coming in and out but I was able to confirm with local commercials as well.

Next, a religious station was starting to come in on 900 from the East or West. Turns out it was coming from Stuboy's backyard. It was 900, KTIS, Minneapolis, MN, 50/5K, Religious. I confirmed this one online as well. Hea.

Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Re: Sheridan DX - January 2021

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 4th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Hea, tonight I got a catch that The Stuboy mentioned I should be able to get. Under the garble of 930 bleed over on the ETON, I got 940, KVSH, Valentine, Farm 5/0.19. We confirmed it with Stuboy hearing it on the Denver SDR and I heard the same woman country song online. If Denver was hearing it then it's logical Sheridan would be getting the signal. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 13th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Hea, The DX Gods smiled favorably on the eastern flank of the Bighorn Mountains today by providing a big wind storm that knocked out the power in Billings and such, the 790 KGHL power as well leaving that frequency clean from any nearby powerful stations. As a result, I was able to snag 3 new stations on 790 tonight. First off I got 790 KBET, Winchester, NV, Talk, 1/0.3K. I clearly heard them mentioning Las Vegas and confirmed it online.

Next up, I turned the Eton radio toward the SE/NW and heard some country music playing. It was easily identified online as playing the same twangy song. It was the sexy 790 KXXX, Colby, KS, Country 5/0.024K. Must of been on day power still

Finally, I was getting a lot of talking and it was hard to distinguish anything but I did barely hear the KABC ID or someone saying KABC. 790, KABC, LA, CA, N/T 6.6/7.9K. I couldn't confirm it online because Ifart radio plays mutha fucken adds but I am pretty sure I heard KABC.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 15th, 2021, 7:50 pm

Ell. The 790 streak continues. Today I got 790, KJRB, Spokane, WA, Rock, 4.4/0.034K. I was trying to DX again for KFGO which I swear I got yesterday but will try for again. We went for a walk up at Soldier Ridge and the sky was darker when we got back. Tuned it back to 790 and heard My Woman from Tokyo in the background. Confirmed it was playing online at their website. I will try for KFGO again.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 21st, 2021, 7:24 pm

Hea, I just got two new 840s today with the Eton while relaxing on the couch after work. First off I got 840, WHAS, Louisville, KY, N/T 50K. I was the top of the hour and I clearly heard them ID multiple times. I tried verifying it online but they use stupid IFart radio app and I got rid of that clunky thing along time ago. No need to confirm anyway because I clearly heard it.

Next in the jumble of talking going on, I heard an old station I used to hear on blast and on any FS rig that some conservative was driving before me. It was 840 KMAX, Colfax, WA, N/T 10K. I clearly heard them talking about The Max Conservative talk. Shitty station but from a town close to Grangeville named after the famous band Coleflatch. Even my co-worker called it Coleflatch.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 31st, 2021, 6:33 pm

Elll! Every once in awhile the DX Gods bless us with DX catches that are more than just an average catch. These catches are special because they bring back a wave of nostalgia and link our current DX location to DX locations of the past. I remember when The Stuboy and I were young and first discovering DXing in Casper, WY when we heard "You've got to Hide Your Love Away" by the Beatles coming in from some far station in Utah. We were in Justin's room DXing at night and it might have been around Christmas but hearing a Beatles song come from far away is like hearing an old friend. In Grangeville, I still remember hearing Cuba for the first time driving around town at night and trying to hear faint music on 530. The magic you feel when you get something that far is great and burns in to your memory. Same with the time The Stuboy and I were trying to get Jacksonville Florida during a DX test and talking with Justin over the phone, trying to confirm what we are hearing and then, there it is, a Sweep or a random piece of Morse Code. We got it at the same time from Grangeville and the Twin Cities, Then there was a loud noise and Justin confirmed it was another station, I think from Iowa, that I never heard. It was a good DXing night.

Last night was one of those nights. While listening for a DX test from 1230, KCUP, Toledo, OR, N/T, 1K, last night between 11:15 and 12:30 this morning, I heard a bunch of garbled garbage on the 1230 spectrum which is typical for all those low watt stations on there. I kept on hearing classic rock though and started doing some online sleuthing. It wasn't anything I could track down and nearby on that frequency but I didn't have to wait long before I actually heard an ID for 1230, KORT, Grangeville, ID, Classic Hits, 1K. Holly Cow! I couldn't believe it. I quickly went to the online stream at the KORT website and sure enough, it was playing the same songs and I continued to confirm it with Stuboy talking on the phone.

I quickly came over with a wave of nostalgia for our home town we left last year and all the memories of hanging out and doing Karaoke at the Establishment Bar or the Lions came back to me. I was thinking of my friends there, some probably still up, and if they tuned in KORT, they would hear the same thing I did. Cool feeling. I didn't even really care if I got KCUP running test, this made DXing last night worth it. Now with KORT back and still talking with the Stuboy on the phone, he was hearing the sweeps in Coon Rapids, MN but somehow, I was not. The Jig was trying to sleep and I woke her up from being so excited over the phone. I didn't think I was going to get KCUP but then out of the mess, I did hear a sweep or two very faint. That was all I needed to confirm I got that one too. Wow. Another cool catch. A 1K on the Oregon Coast. Anyway, last night and early this morning will probably go down as one of those nostalgic DXing nights that you remember. Hearing old cities you used to live in coming through faint on the AM dial always triggers good memories. Hea.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Radio room