Spring Break GR DX

Got anything at all to say about either radio towers or scanner frequencies, or anything related to radio in general, here's where you go.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Spring Break GR DX

Postby TheStuboy » March 18th, 2005, 2:34 am

El, few new stations for GR over Spring Break. One is from UT and the other is a HAR station out of GR, which was previously not heard.

I also got an FM station which I forgot to add when doing the page updates. Its KJQN, and is JACK FM out of SLC. Jenn and I heard it all the way from SLC to GR in one shot. The station went out a few times, especially when coming into GR, but was audible in our driveway. I have listed the RL coverage map below:

This station was also tested a few days ago (from 3/18/05) to see how far east it would go beyond GR and it was still audible in Superior WY but quickly went out near Point of Stuboys. An unidentified station came in on 103.1 after Rawlins.

One interesting factoid for you:
KSIT and KRQU battle for the 104.5 mHZ frequency around 5-10 miles west of Arlington Wyoming. KSIT (100kw Rock Springs, WY) can be heard intermittantly(sp?) throughout this area and battles KRQU (8kw Laramie, WY) for several miles along the I-80 corridor. Interesting, since Rock Springs is about 200 miles to the west, and Laramie is only 50 miles to the east. These two stations are practically on the opposite side of the state from each other. Something to think about.

Brief DX from Julesburg, CO is occuring this weekend maybe. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'll have time as I am busy filming SVII.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 18th, 2005, 11:14 am

Ell, suprised you hadnt heard that HAR before, unless its new for upcoming construction or something. What were the IDs on the new AM stations, I see you havent updated your website yet.
Tonight could quite possibly be the last Friday stuck in traffic car dx as this is the last friday I will be working in San Bernardino, will be in Palm Springs where there wont be a lot of traffic. The LD supplemental DX wont really start till the following week when Im moved in. There is 1 station in the Coachella valley that I dont have, its a 1kw on 1330 or something, Its tower is like 2 miles from my new condo so that should be easy.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » March 18th, 2005, 6:29 pm

Actually, the page and maps are updated, you might just have to hit refresh when you get to those pages. Its KCPW 1010 Tooele, UT (National Public Radio). I heard it in the parking lot of Albertsons in RS. The HAR is WQBJ389 and is 10 watts from exit 99 in GR.

Julesburg day time DX is occuring as I write this. I listened to KOGA 930 (Ogallala) all day because we were out at Jen's G-ma's house painting electrical panels for the local pigbutt farm and had no other music or anything to listen to.

KRVN is coming in really clear.

I am having major troubles hearing KFI from anywhere. Its like it isn't there any more. Is it anything to do with the tower collapsing. I would think they would have had it rebuilt by now. I can't hear anything but a faint station on 640 from GR and if you listen to the ID I have recorded on the GRDX site, it is nothing like that now. What is going on?
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » March 18th, 2005, 6:48 pm

Ell, KFI still sounds good out here, but its not on the same tower you are used to hearing it on. That could be as good as you can get now as their main tower was destroyed in a plane crash. You should try to DX anything else on 640 though there isnt much west of the Mississippi. KFI is hessian gwb republican radio anyways, accept for AH at nights, so you dont want to listen till late. Im going to attempt to DX a few stations in the palm springs area on my ride home from work, I have tried them before but will try again just to see. Otherwise I will confirm them when I move out there.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Radio room