District 9 - (District Kang)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

District 9 - (District Kang)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » August 17th, 2009, 6:58 pm

District 9 is Neill Blomkamp's first major motion picture and he is only 29 years old. Not to date myself, but he is my age and from what I saw yesterday at the megaplex, he has talent and should be watched in the future for great things. See Stuboy, If you actually start looking for film jobs and working hard for it, you could end up like Neil too and make your first major motion picture when you're twenty nine. You just have to get off your butt and start making things happen.

Minor Spoilers
Anyway, enough of that. District 9 is a story about a race of aliens (prawns as the humans call them) whose ship stops over Johannesburg, South Africa for some reason back in the 1980s. Since it has been there, the humans have taken the aliens and put them into District 9 which is essentially a ghetto. The whole situation is a metaphor for Apartheid in South Africa and the parallels between the Aliens and South Africa's Blacks during Apartheid are clear. Anyway, its up to our semi hero-Wikus Van De Merwe(played by the very talented Sharlto Copley), to save the aliens. I won't give away much more but his performance is one of the strong points of the movie.

Another great thing about this movie is that it's budget was only around $30 million and looking at the special effects and all of the equipment they used, Its surprising. I hope these smaller non-Hollywood movies will teach Hollywood something or too. That's not to say the movie is perfect.

Overall, the story was pretty good but I still have some questions about the ending which I assume may resolved in a sequel. The special effects are pretty good and the aliens are realistic and show emotion. You start to feel for some of them. One thing I was surprised about during this movie is the level of violence. It is a violent movie and the previews don't let on to that. There are some gross out points to,o but it's Sharlto Copley's acting and Neil Blomkamp's direction that make this worth watching.

This movie might take some time to sink in but my initial reaction is good. Better than Transformers 2 (Because it's smarter) and most of the other shit that has come out this summer including Terminator 4. 3.9 Stars out of 5. One of the better movies this year. I suggest you go and see this Stu and see what directors can do with a minimal budget and a creative mind.

Sharlto Copley is transformed from a dorky guy to a reluctant hero with a special adaptation in this movie.

Break One 9....We got some weird DX coming from that big ship over there. I think we need to call in our resident Stuboy to get an ID on this.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews