Funny People - (Funny Gomps)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Funny People - (Funny Gomps)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » August 2nd, 2009, 8:52 pm

Just got back from seeing Funny People which is Judd Apatow's latest directorial debut. Right off the bat, this is better than 40-Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, but not by that much.

As you know from the previews, Adam Sandler's comedian character is about to die from a rare disease when he takes Seth Rogen under his wing to be his assistant and to write him jokes. Things go fine until he discovers he may not die and he gets a new lease on life. Now he tries to win back the one that got away by telling penis and ball jokes.

Thats the basic story, it just takes 2+ hours to get there and toward the end, you can tell. The first half of the movie had some genuinely funny parts and the comedy routines from Seth and Adam are funny. I was into the first half of the movie when George Simmons (Sandler) is actually sick. Then he gets better (as shown in the previews) and things get long and complicated. And I'm not referring to any penis or ball jokes.

I have to hand it to Apatow for his movie. It's probably his most sincere to date. But like other Apatow movies, I don't see what the big deal is. On a totally unrelated note, my wife thought she saw Gomps in one of the Improv scenes. We were looking at him and she thought she saw him. I missed it.

This movie gets 3.7 stars out of 5. Good acting by the whole cast but the story dragged on at the end.

Rogen: Seriously, that's Gomps in the audience.

Sandler: Yea I Know. Where are the other UBSTU actors at.

Sandlers movie career has de-evolved him into his primal state of being a baby. Next thing you know, Rob Schnider will become a Carrot or a Stapler....oh wait. Derp a derpily derpily Dumb.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » August 3rd, 2009, 11:36 pm

This was Gomps' last extra performance so you very likely saw him in the audience of the comedy club. He has moved on to bigger and better things, like playing in redneck bars and starting a country version of Coleflatch with Billy Ray Cyrus.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

HA

Postby Kaing of Kaings » August 4th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Ha,
Don't forget that duet he plays and sings with Hannah Montana.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews