The Curious Case of Benjamin Babeon

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

The Curious Case of Benjamin Babeon

Postby TheStuboy » January 8th, 2009, 11:32 pm

Tonight I got a chance to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button at the crappy Megaflatch Gayway cinema owned by the media fatass Larry H. Millah.

Benjamin Button tells the story of none other than Benjamin Button, a man who was born old, and grows younger as the years pass, while others around him continue to age as life intended.

-Spoilers-
Benjamin is abandoned at birth by his father at a nursing home and the care takers take him in and he continues to grow up. He learns the ways of the world fairly quickly and soon meets Cate Blanchett and immediately falls in love with her. The problem is, she is a young girl and he is an old man growing younger every day.

At 17, and still looking old, Benjamin sets out on his own and runs into a tugboat captain who takes him aboard. World War II happens and some bad things happen.

The movie continues as Cate and Benjamin grow closer in age to each other but are destined to be apart.

-End Spoilers-

I'm not going to tell you much more because you really have to watch it to see it. The story is interesting and at times you really get into it. I have to admit, I don't usually cry during movies but this one was different. There are genuinely some sad parts of this movie. Wahs and anyone can relate to how life works and once you realize you're only here for a limited time, you'll lose it.

I like movies like this that tell interesting stories of lives, and all the while contain little plot points and little things that either predict whats coming, or tie the whole story together.

The acting is good and I expect either Pitt or Blanchett to be nominated for an Oscar. I'd like to see David Fincher, the film's director, get nominated for an Oscar as well, but I'm not sure if Hollywood farts like the academy like him or not.

The filmmaking is very symbolic (that's the word I was looking for) and the filming is well done. Having been filmed in Louisiana post Katrina, the filmmakers did a damn good job. I guess Louisiana offers filmmakers really good incentives if they come and film in that state. I wish all states would do the same, especially Wyoming.

I digress though.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button gets 4.5 stars out of 5 and will indeed appear on my list of greats in 2008.

Image The tagline of this film reads: "What if you could have an old Brad Pitt head on a young body".

Cate Blanchett's Head has a bad tendency to attack people who stand next to it. This lady, who reads the story in the film, got sucked up moments later.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

The Curious Case of Bunjamin Ballsach

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 10th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I will keep this review short since Stuboy covered most of it. I do agree with Stuboy that the movie has good special effects, and I wish there were more Tugboat during WWII scenes but that didn't happen.

I thought the first part of the movie was good and it kept me interested, but once the movie got to the New York affair scenes then I started yawning and I never fully recovered. Granted we saw a night showing, I wasn't kept at the edge of my seat or anything. This movie is a long study and like Forrest Gump, also written by Eric Roth, it goes through recent history with a lot of symbolism, humming bird anyone. Unlike Forrest Gump, the main character is not the cause or participant in the historic events but a casual observer.

Three cheers to David Fincher for the visual style and effects but honestly, I thought the story kind of dragged on after the WWII scene. I knew what was coming in the end, and yes it was sad so I did shed a tear but not as much as I did in Marley and Me. Some girls in the audience though were balling so it did effect some strongly. It's a good movie but it will not be at the top of my list for great movies of 2008. It deserves some technical awards and maybe some acting for Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett but I don't think this is best picture material. Not in the since that Forrest Gump was. Anyway, 3.8 stars out of 5. It's a noble movie but just didn't affect me as others. hea.

All the you're my child's in the audience need to cover your eyes. Oates is about to occur.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 17th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Man you guys are pussies! Ha, just kidding. I can forgive a little crying as long as you didnt clap at the end of the movie. people who do that are kang
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews