Tropic Thunder - Tropic Blunder

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Tropic Thunder - Tropic Blunder

Postby Kaing of Kaings » August 17th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Ben Stiller's latest foray into the directorial world is Tropic Thunder. Now I have wanted to see this movie ever since the preview came out. I mean, how could you miss with Stiller, Black and Downey Jr. in the main roles? Well, we saw the movie today and here is what I think.

(Mini Spoilers)
Tropic Thunder starts off with hilarious trailers of movies and commercials the main characters have been in. These fake trailers are some of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. They are sure funnier than the fake trailers in the Grindhouse movies. From there, the movie jumps to Vietnam where a movie based on a book by Nick Nolte is being filmed. As the previews show, things start going wrong when the actors start getting actory and not cooperating. This forces the director (Steve Coogan) to take drastic measures and take the lead 5 actors into the jungle to shoot the film guerrilla style. This is where things start going wrong and the film starts loosing some of its appeal. Thats not to say it isn't funny and yes it has it's moments. It just seems like there are some scenes where the movie would be better off without.

I have to admit, Tom Cruises character looks like my friend Jimmy from high school. His performance is good and he does bring some funny to the film. One of the better parts of the film though is Downey Jr. who plays a black guy disguised as a dude played the dude....anyway, he kind of steals the show.

That being said, the movie is funny but not the funniest thing Stiller or any of the actors has been in. This movie is close to being one of his better movies but falls a little short. I give the movie 3.75 stars out of 5. It's a good way to blow an afternoon at the theater. And for once, everyone in the theater was quiet and didn't use cell phones. How nice for a change. Maybe there is some hope for the human race after all.

Come on people. I know some of the stuff isn't PC but come on, get a life.

Not only did Robert Downey Jr. have a role in this film, his head had a cameo as well. Man this guy sure was busy in 2008.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » August 18th, 2008, 6:32 pm

I saw this yesterday evening by myself since my woman was at work. I too thought that the movie had its moments and agree with stu that the previews before the movie are hilarious. I liked Downey's character too, and I also liked Jack Black.

Spoilers
Specifically, I liked the scene where Ben and Downey are trying to act and Jack Black is hanging in the background.

The one scene with Jack farting was hilarious as was the Ben Stiller preview for Simple Jack.

I believe these comedic stars are starting to fail though in their attempts to make us laugh. The movie wasn't so much a comedy as it was an action picture. I believe the filmmakers went over their own heads making a movie about a movie being made.

That said, it still is entertaining, though certainly not perfect. 3.9 stars out of 5

Remember that scene in U.S. Marshals where Tommy Lee Jones was showing me his scary face? Take a look at this cow, you see any resemblance?

This isn't Nacho Libre, the director aint no Mormon who lives down the street from where I write this right now.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews