Smart People - (Dumb People)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Smart People - (Dumb People)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » April 13th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Man, this year has been pretty slow with movies. There has been nothing that has come out recently that I felt like I just had to see. It doesn't help that I have been studying for my PE exam for the first part of this year but seriously, Hollywood hasn't put out much worth watching so far.

Yesterday, in PHX after watching the Diamondbacks spank the Colorado Rockies, my woman and I decided to go to a movie. We went to the AMC theater near the Cardinals Stadium which is better than Harkins theaters, (AMC is a better chain). We almost didn't see a movie because nothing really interested us but then my woman mentioned an interest in Smart People, the new movie where Denis Quaid perfects his pissed off turtle headface. Seeings how the last movie I saw had Denis Quaid in prime turtlehead face form, I thought, why not see another turtlehead movie. Besides, this movie also has the very watchable Ellen Page, Thomas Hayden Church and the not so watchable Sarah Jessica Parker. So after eating a bland Tahitian salad, we decided to see Stupid People.

(Spoilers)
Smart People is a story about a family with Dennis Quaid playing a gay dad who has a daughter, Page, a dorky son and a dorky adopted brother Church. Dennis Quaid is a stuffy professor who teaches probably the most boring subject ever, English Lit, at some college. His wife had died a while back and he still can't seem to get over it. His daughter, Page, kind of takes over the role of mother and becomes a young and dumb republican. Most of the family is smart except Church who shows up at Quaids house and likes to sleep with his butt hanging out. The problem for this family is that they think they are smart but in the eyes of stu people, like you and me, they seem disconnected to the real world which many smart people are. So this is a story about them trying to work things out. Sound like a typical Miramax picture? Well that's because it is.

(End Spoiler)
Since I just told you the whole story, what did I think? There were parts that were funny and if Church wasn't in this film, it would probably suck. Page does a good job and so does Quaid who is fat and crusty. Don't expect him to lose his turtlehead constipated face anytime soon. It looks like it is here to stay. SJP is probably the weakest link. I just can't seem to buy her as an actress for some reason. Anyway I give the movie 3 out of 4 stars. It's not that bad but not that great either.

P.S. My woman really liked this film. Maybe this is more directed for women. Hea.

Church: "Yea, working with Tobey Maguire in Spider Balls 3 was kind of Kang. I mean seriously, the spider suit smells like ass, and I had to play sweaty nut sack with him one day. Show business is business...business."

Page: "Wow, I was just talking about my experience on Juno, where the hell did that come from?"

Quaid: "You see, I found a way to woo women and to make them ignore my turtlehead face. I just bore them to death with boring poetry about cats and their tendency to clean their butts."

SJP: "Wow, you really are an intellectual. By the way, can you point your turtlehead face some where else when you talk to me. You're halitosis is pretty ripe now."
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » April 14th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Ell, I havent seen a movie in the theater all year, but Harold and Kumar Escape Guantanamo Bay comes out this weekend so I will have to check that out soon. Starring not only Kal Penn and John Cho, who I saw at a Dodgers game once, but none other then my doppleganger Eddie Kay Thomas! Oh leeroy!
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews