Sideways - (Stuways)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Sideways - (Stuways)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » February 5th, 2005, 11:54 pm

Do you like wine tasting? Do you like traveling the California Coastline (Highway 101) with your old buddy from college? Do you like Paul Giamatti's excellent acting (Thomas Hayden Churche's too.)? Do you like to watch fat naked people get it on? I know I did. And if you like all this stuff, you would like Sideways.

Sideways is Alexander Payne's newest movie. His other ones were Election and About Schmidt which were both fairly entertaining. Sideways, however, is his greatest achievement to date and is up for best picture. I think it was better than The Aviator.

Paul Giamatti plays Miles, an 8th Grade english teacher and struggling writter who decides to take his old college friend Jack, played by Thomas Haden Church, out on a wine tasting trip before Jack is to be married. The two buddies hit the road north to California's wine country and drive by Gomp's house in the process. Once up in wine country, they meet these two girls,Sandra Oh and Virginia Madsen. This is when the miss-adventures begin and some are truly hilarious. I caught myself laughing and flatching out loud several times in the theater. I dont want to give away too much of the rest but I really did like this movie.

Paul Giamatti sure did get snubbed by the academy by not getting a the best actor nomination which I think he truly deserved. Thomas Haden Church definately deserved the best supporting nomination for his performance as the sex crazed guy who gets into all sorts of trouble, and Virginia Madsen also deserved her nomination. I think Alexander Payne did a good job too with the directing and writting.

While the movie isn't perfect and not as powerfull and the Lord of the Rings, Return of the KAING, it is a good comedy and trys to help people like me realize that sometimes you have to take a risk and change to get what you want. Overall I would give it 3 and 1/2 stars out of 4. I hope to see this one win some Oscars although I know the Academy can be real stu at times. I.E. Shakespeare in Love wins best picture over Saving Private Ryan,, Worst Oscars Ever.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » February 6th, 2005, 7:50 pm

I'd have to agree with that year (1998)'s oscars. Damn idiots from Shakespear Is Gay payed the academy for that one. SPR was clearly the winner.

One of the rules to judging a film is that you can't pay the academy to win, and you can not snub a picture just because it's director has already won an Oscar. Stick with the normal method of Best Picture and Best Director being for the same picture, it was much better then.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews