Sweeny Turd: The Demon Mantha Beater of Flatch Street

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Sweeny Turd: The Demon Mantha Beater of Flatch Street

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 19th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Yesterday, Sweeny Todd finally came to Flagstaff, the movie that Harkins Theater didn't want to show because Enchanted opened up bigger. Well thanks to a Golden Globe, it is here. Now I just wish they could get There Will Be Blood here. Anyway, We saw it. Here is the gist.

Sweeny, Depp, is the demon of fleet street who shings his victims while Mrs Lovett bakes them into meat pies. Sound disgusting? It is. Borat is a competing barber who tries to bring town Sweeny but that's probably not a good idea. The story revolves around Sweeny's thirst for revenge after the evil Alan Rickman took his wife from Nakatomi Plaza, in London, and took his only child (what a babe). The Judge (Rickman) had Sweeny thrown into jail for reasons that aren't clearly defined. Anyway now it's up to Sweeny to get his revenge, but is revenge blinding him from reason?

This is Tim Burton's 6th collaboration with Johnny Depp and his first musical. I wasn't familiar with the music buy my woman grew up with it. I must admit, there were a couple songs that I did like. This is probably Burton's darkest film and definitely has the most blood. People are literally shinged left and right. All the while, the unsuspecting Londoners eat meat pies.

Now onto the review. I had no expectations going in, and walked away with none. This is not one of my favorite Burton movies and at times, it seemed a little slow. For some reason, I just didn't get into it that much either. There were some bright spots with Borat and the shinging but even then, the movie just didn't connect to me. Oh well. Think Sleepy Hollow meets Dr. Giggles. Hope you have protection, shing! aaaahahh. I give this movie 2.8 stars out of 4. Nice music but overall, left me going, eh.

Sweeny: "May I offer you a Shing?"
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews