Juno - (Ju Don No Jack)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Juno - (Ju Don No Jack)

Postby TheStuboy » January 5th, 2008, 12:51 am

My first day back in Stu Lake was a pretty eventful one, and to cap it off this evening I had to travel to West Valley City, 7 miles to the west, just to see a movie. The theater is the Carmike Hollywood Connection, a massive complex with 17 screens and an indoor theme park. I've been here to see a movie before, though I can't remember what it was. It had to have been within the past year though. I remember eating at the Ruby Tuesdays across the street and drinking a Corona, mmm.

Anyway, using my new handy dandy Garmin GPS navigator, I was able to find the theater with minutes to spare before the show started. When I got there, I was treated to 5 minutes of stupid ads and another 5 of trailers for movies that look stu. All except that We are Sparta one.

Tonight's movie, I saw previews for way back in 07, which reminds me, we need to write our top and worst movies of 07 in Ubstudios tradition. I'll let stu start.

SPOILERS

Juno stars Ellen Page as Juno. She's only 3 years younger than me, awww. Juno also stars Michael Cera (Super Bad), Jennifer Garner (Butt Affleck's bone machine) and Jason Bateman (the Kaingdum).

This is a story about two friends who go too far with their experimenting and Juno ends up pregnant. From the previews, you can tell where the story goes. We watch as Juno deals with the pregnancy and how she grows closer to her family, and makes new friends along the way, including adopting parents (Garner and Bateman). Juno befriends Bateman's character creating some awkward moments, but nothing happens, they just have a lot in common. Juno gradually gets more and more pregnant, however Bateman has doubts and throws a wrench in the whole plot. However its not a "bleak" outlook as it may seem. Things end up for the better, and through it all, people become better and wiser.

END SPOILERS

Juno is most definitely this year's Little Miss Sunshine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both were made by Fox Searchlight, the independent wing of 20th Century Fox movies.

Anyway, this movie stays typical to others like it in that it's mostly character driven, rather than Michael Bay-esc movies and regular Hollywood, which is all about cheap thrills and bad writing.

This is how movies should be made. The story flows nicely, and only gets slow once or twice. You can't cut it down for that though, its based on life, life isn't always fast paced like other directors would like us to believe.

The acting on behalf of all cast, especially Juno and the parents, as well as Bateman is good. Garner is a little stiff, but thats only because she regrets ever being with Butt Affleck. Who would want to be with that loser? He needs to stick to directing for...the rest of his life.

One other thing I liked about this film was the opening sequence, which was nicely done.

Juno gets 3.6 stars out of 4 and is a good start to 2008. I kind of have a thing for independent movies and it's nice to see something original for a change.

You want to hear an interesting coincidence? Britney Spear's younger sister, who is 16, got pregnant. Lets see if she's just as bad as her sister. My guess is the whole family's fucked up.

This is all due to what your character did in Super Bad, but I love you anyways.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 7th, 2008, 11:51 am

Ell, I have to disagree with you on this movie. I thought the story was really not that interesting and that the movie was quite boring. Some stugirl gets knocked up then no one really wants to take responsibility for there actions, then the movie ends. I also found the Juno charecter to be pretty unlikeable, the only good charecter in the movie is her dad. Jennifer Garner gives a wooden and laconic performance as it appears Ben Affleck's acting influence has rubbed off on her. Little Miss Sunshine was actually funny, this movie is not funny and kind of a downer in my opinion. 1.8 out of 4 stars for dorky-faced actor super bad guy showing you his junk in tiny shorts.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Ballo

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 25th, 2008, 8:23 pm

My woman and I just saw Juno. Here is what we think.

I think i'm somewhere in between Stuboy and Leeroy on this one although I am more closer to Stuboys opinion. I was thinking this was a comedy and in some parts, it is, but mostly, it seemed like a light drama that focused on Juno growing up. I didn't think her character was too annoying and she is awww. But there were few people laughing. I think you have to be a woman to fully appreciate this film. My woman liked it but she didn't think it was this years Little Miss Sunshine. I don't think it is either and I am not sure why it is up for best picture unless to balance the bleakness of the other 4 nominees.

Ellen Page did do a good job and while I haven't seen any of the other actresses up for best picture, I think she probably deserves it. I think Jason Reitman has a promising career but I think Paul Thomas Anderson or the Coen Brother should get the award. Overall thought, this is the first film in a long time where you drive away not feeling bad but feeling good. 3.4 stars out of 4.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews