The Mist - (The Musty Butt)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

The Mist - (The Musty Butt)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » November 24th, 2007, 4:52 pm

The Mist is the third collaboration with Stephen King and Frank Darabont. It seems that Frank Darabont knows how to make good films out of Stephen Kings work (See the Classic Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile). Does the Mist stand up to his other work. The answer is yes and no.

The Mist stars Thomas Jane who was excellent in Boogie Nights and Magnolia. In almost everything I have seen the guy in, he is good (Minus Dreamcatcher, another bad Stephen King adaptation to film). Anyway, the story revolves around Jane and his boy who are forced to go to the grocery store after a freak storm wrecks everything at his house and his neighbors. On the way to the storm, they notices things are a little weird when the military is driving down the road and a mist of flatulence is heading for the town.

At the grocery store, some old dude runs in and says that the shit is going to hit the fan. Then a huge cloud of fart envelopes the town and they are stranded in the grocery store with other people. They can't go out in the fart because it smells really bad and if they do, they will get eaten by monsters.

I don't want to give much more away than what you have seen in the previews but the ending of this film is probably the most depressing out of anything I have seen this year. It is a very bleak movie and even with the fake looking CGI in some spots, the mood remains grim for the survivors of the fart cloud.

There is a message to this film that I got and got well. Civilization is skin deep and it doesn't take much to though us into a primal rage. The horror in this film isn't always in the mist outside the grocery store, it's in the people trapped in side. The scary thing is, if something like this happened, even with out the monsters, the human race would probably be thrown off balance and civilization would come to an end except for when you play Sid Meyer's Civilization game on the PC.

Another message I got from this film was that, you shouldn't give up hope. If you do give up hope, all is lost and you pretty much have nothing to live for. Many characters face that during this film and many are shinged as a result. Especially the Sherminator from the American Pie movies who gets eaten by something.

The movie does have it's cheesy moments, and I kept on expecting the people trapped in the grocery store to turn out like the extras on the bus in the movie Speed. You know, the people on the bus who were so 2 Dimensional and annoying. The ones you wanted to die just cause they were stupid. This movie is a little different. You do care for some of the people in the grocery store but not all. There are some people you want to get killed but for different reasons. Anyway, look for political and theological undertones during this film. It's the end of days without Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Overall the film was entertaining and there were a few creepy parts. The message behind the film is more powerful than most and like I said, Darabont is good at directing movies based on Stephen Kings work. That being said, this is no Shawshank or Green Mile in quality or story but compared to Dreamcatcher and other King flops, this is pretty good. I give this 3.4 stars out of 4. Not a bad way to entertain for a two hours. Hea.

When Dick Cheney's toilet overflows with shit from all the crap he has done to the country, you better watch out. You're town could be in the path of a huge cloud of shit!

The Sherminator's acting career hasn't really taken off since American Pie. Now he has been to reduced to "Dead Meat" roles when ever he is in a film.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » December 10th, 2007, 3:42 am

Just got back from the 10:25 showing of "The Mist" at my favorite crime-ridden cinema in South Salt Lake, where the mist would have a field day because people are not as smart there :D. Honestly, every time I go to So. SLC, an arrest is happening or someone's getting tortured with a taser on the side of the road because the UHP is taser happy. I digress though, I went to see this movie, not police ignorance.

The Mist is based on a novel by Steven Kaing and was written for the screen and directed by Frank Darabont, who is of Shawshank and Green Mile fame. Both of those are excellent films. This film comes close.

Here's the synopsis, and there are spoilers since it's a bit long winded...

A freak storm wreaks havoc on the main character Thomas Jane, who is a struggling UBSTUDIOS film poster artist. The storm rips through his home and causes his wife to act very badly, but then again, most wahs act terrible, especially my wah. Thomas goes with his little stuboy to see what has happened to the boat house, since he lives along side of a lake. Discovering the ruined boat house, he goes to meet with his neighbor, who just happens to be that black guy from Poseidon, a terrible movie btw.

Overcoming their phaggy neighborly differences, the two and stuboy in tow decide to head to the local grocery store for supplies. Along the way, they discover something isn't right. The military is going nuts, and so are the people.
They get to the grocery store just as a cloud of flatch envelopes the town, causing wide spread panic. Minutes later, another Frank Darabont regular comes in to report that monsters are in the cloud of flatch, and that everyone should stay inside the grocery store. After figuring out that the power generator is producing too much flatch, Thomas and a few workers try to save The Sherminator's acting career, but fail and he is killed by tenticles. The group of new friends decides to break the news to the rest of the stus in the store, but some people, especially that sheeit guy from Poseidon, don't believe it for one minute. Then comes the preachy god lady, this is where the shit hits the fan.

An hour and change later, the new band of buttholes leaves the store to head for the pharmacy, and a few more stus get shinged. Meanwhile, the preachy god lady has converted most of the people in the store to her hessianic religious beliefs, and is fvcking everything up. She believes that the flatch is the wrath of god. Boy is she wrong. After sacrificing a poor army dude, the shit really hits the fan, and the movie gets worse (not worse as in it sucks, worse as in story) from here on out.

I won't give away the ending, but like stu said, its bleak.

END SPOILERS

I was thoroughly surprised by this movie. From what I had seen, in both previews and a special clip of the movie on TV, I thought this movie was just going to be another bomb. Boy was I wrong. The first few minutes I was still skeptical, as the acting was horrendously laughable. This was soon to change and I got my underwear ripped off by how entertaining the rest of the film was. Granted, like stu said, there are points that are laughable, but its for good reason. There were parts in this film where the 8 of us in the audience were cheering. There were parts where we were laughing. There was one part in particular that sent me a couple feet in the air. No film this year has been able to pull that off, except for maybe Live Kaing or Die Stu.

I believe what makes this movie enjoyable is that the story is more character driven, then an -oh no, the monsters are going to get us- horror type film. The characters actually have a purpose, and we feel one way or the other when or if they lose their lives. Like stu said, the message in this movie should be clear. If it isn't clear, you're either one of the following persons: Sean Hannity, Bill Oreily, Rush Limbaugh, George Bush, Dick Cheney or Fred Phelps. God 'literally' forbid you are one of those persons, reading this Ubstudios.com forum.

Anyway, I liked the message, I liked the tensions between the views in this movie. It made things that much more believable. I have no doubt that were this sort of thing to actually happen, there would be people exactly like this. And stu is also right about the extras not being two dimensional like in Speed. You get to choose whose side you're on, the religious right, or the sane people who don't believe in that sort of thing.

I for one was glad when.... was .... and she couldn't spread her ignorance no mo.

The ending was depressing, but I see it as a metaphor or a symbol of what could possibly become of this country. Steven Kaing filled this book/film with a ton of references to current issues, and for that, I give him praise.

3.7 stars out of 4. A very entertaining way to spend 2 hours of an otherwise uneventful evening :roll:.

Okay, its obvious whose to blame for this huge cloud of flatch. Its not of alien origin, its from the ass of every person who voted for GWB. Unfortunately, we can't escape it.

Look it up in the bible, page 207 verse 2880 "Let thy flatch cloud full of scary monsters shing those who hath disagree with thyself, fight thy flatch with thy flatch.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » December 10th, 2007, 4:11 am

I almost forgot to mention the budget of this film being only 17 Million. Thats a very VERY cheap movie, when compared to a typical Michael Bay film, setting the studios back in the hundreds of millions.

And the best part of this lower budget film is that it looks and works good. I'm guessing a vast majority of the budget was spent on special effects, and to the filmmakers I give them credit. This proves that a good film can be made with a meager budget. Hell, look at our accomplishments. All of our films have little to no budget what so ever.

Hollywood can produce so much more than it is, with a fraction of the cost. Granted, the cast wants a large cut of the money, and with actresses like Cameron Diaz demanding 10+ mill a picture, there's no excuse.

The filming reminds me of documentary style, and this was done intentionally. And it works, very well. I'm so sick of a camera that doesn't move. I'm so sick of a locked down camera that can't float about in free-space. I'm so sick of artifically lit movies I want to warf on Michael Bay, just for the hell of it.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews