Rendition - (Rendumption)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Rendition - (Rendumption)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » October 26th, 2007, 1:26 pm

The other movie my new wife and I saw in Durango, CO was Rendition. Rendition is a movie about what probably happens more that people would like to think. It's basically about how the US Government takes away people it believes are terrorist suspects to secret prisons and tortures them.

The problem here is two fold. For one, torture doesn't work as this movie demonstrates. Just ask Arizona Senator John McCain about that. Second, torturing our captives lowers us to their level. I know the some people will say, they do it to us and do worse things like beheadings and then broadcast it on the internet. This is a true statement. The terrorist do torture our people which is sick and wrong. The question is, where do we draw the line though between who we are as a country and who they are as a terrorist group? If we allow torture to happen, what makes us any better than they are, especially if tortured people tend to say ANYTHING to get out of it whether it is true or not.

(Spoilers)
Anyway, enough of my rant, what I stated above is pretty much the synopsis of Rendition, Reese Witherspoon's (who is full of child) husband, played by Omar Metwally whom you may or may not remember from Spielberg's Munich, is taken away by the US Government and shipped to North Africa where he is tortured because he is a suspect to a terrorist attack. Enter the tired Jake Gyllenhaal who witnesses the terrorist attack and now must find out who did it. Meanwhile, in Washington DC, Senator Meryl Streep wants all Manthas taken to torture chambers along the Union/Pacific Railroad in Wyoming and beaten until questions are answered. It doesn't matter that the Manthas or Omar may be innocent, she just like torture. Enter Peter Sarsgaard who tries to help Reese find her husband only to wimp out under Senator Alan Arkin's Little Miss Sunshine Anti Terror bill. Are you confused yet?

This is an ensemble piece with many actors getting 5 minutes of screen time before the next set of actors gets their show. One part of the terrorist story was actually a surprise and I didn't see it coming. Other than that, the movie was kind of predictable. Don't get me wrong, the scenes dealing with the actual terrorist attack were powerful, but when we start focusing on the other stories, it seems to lose some steam.

That being said, the movie was entertaining. My woman loved it but I didn't love it as much as she did. I still had some unanswered questions after the movie was over. The message is important and should be kept in mind when you watch the flatulent presidential candidates on both sides of the isle duke it out for Supreme Stuness. Anyway, 3.45 stars out of 4. Don't expect any Oscar nominations for this film even though half the cast has been nominated for or has an Oscar. Hea.

A silent but deadly fart had just broken out at the Senator's party. The curious thing was, no one wanted to claim responsibility.

"What? You mean somebody just farted at the Senator's party and no one is claiming responsibility? OMG! This can't be happening."
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews