Superbad - (Supergood?)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Superbad - (Supergood?)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » August 19th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Yes, the people who bought you 40-Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up are back at it again. This time however, I don't think there new movie is as hyped up as the ones I just mentioned. The movie is Superbad and yes, I sincerely laughed during this one.

I wont give two much of the story away, but it basically focuses on three senior high school students trying to get laid before high school is over. Sound familiar? It should. They could make an entire genera out of these movies which include such greats as Porkies and American Pie. But, despite having the same premise as these two movies I just mentioned, I think it belongs up there with them.

The three dorks this film focuses on (played by Jonah Hill, Michael Cera and new comer Christopher Mintz-Plasse) are in for one crazy night as they try to get booze and go to a party to hook up with the girls of their dreams. Along the way, we meet two cops played by Seth Rogen (Knocked Up) and Bill Hader (SNL) who almost steal the show.

The movie is pretty vulgar so if your not into that, then don't see it. It's not like Bad Santa vulgar where Billy Bob Thorton drops the F-Bomb every second, its vulgar with meaning. And everyone who was a nerd or a dork in high school can relate to the main characters who spent many a summer cruising for girls and hoping to hook up with that special someone.

I myself was a nerd/dork in high school and while getting good grades was one of my top priorities, getting chicks was my second. Like the guys in this film though, I was stu when it came to women. I didn't really party and drink until college but I could still sense that high school stuness that we can all relate to (most of us dorkusis). That was one way this movie connected to me.

I also laughed a lot too which is rare for me these days with all the stu comedies coming out. In the end, the movie has a soft spot too that wraps every thing together to make this the summers funniest movie. I highly recommend it if you liked any Judd Apatow movies or movies that remind you of how stu yet fun high school was. Definitely 3.75 stars out of 4 for me. One of the top movies this year so afar along with 300, Zodiac, Sicko and Death Proof (Grindhouse).

Yes, this is me...I mean McLoven with the ladies. I too had similar experiences in college. After a couple cheep nasty beers (Keystone Light), I too became McLoven and the dream of all women.

Bad Ass - Need I say More?
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » August 22nd, 2007, 3:54 pm

Ell, I will definetly see this movie when I get back to GWBland. I am a big fan of this genre of movies as it brings back many kang memories for me as well.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » August 24th, 2007, 1:55 pm

I saw this Wednesday afternoon as a birthday present in the Tinseltown in Ogden. The theater is very nice, reminiscent of the one in Rapid City, but alas, the film doesn't match how good the theater is.

Superbad has its funny points, and I chuckled fairly often, but it seemed like a dumbed down version of American Pie for some reason. I've seen this before. You guys may like these kang genre movies but I like movies with a brain and original stories.

Like Knocked Up, it's funny in parts, but was too long and the jokes gradually got old.

However, this film beats Knocked Up hands down, its actually better than Knocked Up.

Superbad is still Superbad for me, 2.3 stars out of 4.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » September 30th, 2007, 12:50 am

Ell, I finally saw it, sadly I had horrible diahrea during the movie and had to exit the theater twice to relieve myself. However, I didnt miss much, and I thought the movie was really funny. I was like leeroy what a ko many times during the movie. The cops were really funny too, overall it was very entertaining, accept the massive diahrea I was struck with during the movie. Ell I think its striking me again, got to go!!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby Kaing of Kaings » September 30th, 2007, 7:00 pm

What did you eat before you saw the movie. Did you have some superbad McDonalds or Subway?

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » October 1st, 2007, 5:26 pm

Nope, I rarely eat fast food. I dont know what it was that I ate, but it was something at home. I was in the worst possible spot in the theater too, all the way on the other side from the entrance at the top, so twice I had to walk down, then in front of everyone then come back. I was hoping they would think I had a phone call instead of massive turtle.

Ell, I applied for a BLM job in Santa Fe, would be cool if I heard back about it.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Ell Cool

Postby Kaing of Kaings » October 1st, 2007, 10:04 pm

Ell that would be awesome if you moved to Santa Fe. BLM job would be sweet too. That would be close enough where we could hang out every once in a while. I think Santa Fe is 5 or 6 hours away.
We might be moving into a house here within the next year. Stupid guy who owns our place now finally sold it and the new owners want to move in some time next year so we have to move out.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » October 2nd, 2007, 4:56 pm

ya, I hear you, my landlord is a real hessian as well. If I was lucky enough to get the Santa Fe job we could get a house too. Definetly cant afford one in the SF area.
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews