Grindhouse - (Grundigityhouse)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Grindhouse - (Grundigityhouse)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » April 14th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Yesterday, I caught the matinée of the Rodriguez/Tarantino double feature, Grindhouse. So lets begin the spoilers.

(Spoilers)

Grindhouse is broken into two feature length movies with some funny, some really stupid fake previews in between. The first feature is the Robert Rodriguez movie Planet Terror. You may remember Rodriguez directing such stu films as Spy Kids, Lava Girl and Gay Shark Boy, and the somewhat decent Sin City. Planet Terror involves a gas that is leaked in some Texas town that turns people into disgusting zombies. Its up to Rose McGowan and Freddy Rodriguez and Michael Biehn (Aliens, Terminator and The Abyss). I must say, it's nice to see Michael Biehn in movies again.

Anyway the whole town goes to shit as this infectious Zombie virus spreads and a band of stu's trys to make it out alive. There are plenty of explosions and gory head shots and zombies getting shinged by things. Quentin Tarantino makes a guest appearance along with some other well known actors like Bruce Willis.

Next up was Death Proof which is by far, the best movie out of the two. This movie is directed by Quentin Tarantino who also has a cameo in it. The movie features Kurt Russel (Who makes this movie what it is) as an ex Stuntman who likes to kill girls in his stunt car. We are then presented with three protagonists who do some really stupid stuff only to get chased by Stuntman Mike. I wont give much else away but this movie was definitely the most entertaining out of the two.

(End Spoilers)

So what did I think? Planet Terror was your typical B-Movie zombie flick. If you like these kinds of movies then you will like this one. There are some genuinely funny and entertaining parts (purposefully badly edited) and there is a one legged girl Rose McGowin with a machine gun for a leg. Other than that though, I didn't feel it was as exciting or entertaining as Death Proof.

Death Proof kind of has a slow middle to it and at parts I feel it wasn't a complete movie. Maybe this is because Quentin Tarantino is planning on releasing a full version of this movie (or as the rumor states). I would like to see a full version of this movie as a stand alone and not attached to Planet Terror. Kurt Russel makes this movie and he is still one good underrated actor. Think Captain Ron meets Breakdown. Anyway, the last 20 minutes of this movie are a non-stop roller-coaster ride of car chases. It keeps you watching.

Overall, I give Planet Terror 2.85 stars out of 4, Death Proof 3.45 stars out of 4 and the entire Grindhouse movie 3 stars out of 4. I hope Tarantino re-releases Death Proof with scenes that appeared to be missing.

Rose: "Hold of Zombies, or I will be forced to use the bazooka stuck in my ass."

Kurt: "Has anyone ever told you, Shit Happens, Cough it up? Well your about to be taught a lesson by JT Walsh and I."
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews