Babel - (Blahbel)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Babel - (Blahbel)

Postby TheStuboy » March 7th, 2007, 1:09 am

This year's Oscars basically came down to two films, Babel and The Departed. We know by now who won, and rightfully so, but it doesn't mean the other film is any less brilliant and gripping as the other.

Babel is an amalgamation of three stories leading up to a tragic event that really starts out to be an accident.

SUPER SPOILER ALERT

Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchet are traveling through Morocco on a tourist bus. They have left their children back in the US under the care of their nanny, an illegal alien woman from Mexico.

In Morroco, a deal is going down, the p
urchasing of a rifle. The native boys gladdly accept this rifle as it will help keep coyotes off their goats. However, things go terribly wrong when the boys attempt to find out just how far the bullet goes.

Meanwhile, in Japan, the daughter of an imfamous wild game hunter who originally sold the rifle to the guy in Morocco, can't seem to blend in with society as she is not only deaf but mute. She flirts with several boys and even a cop, and this part of the story is not very relevent other than its the bare beginning of the saga of the rifle.

Cate Blanchet is shot on the bus, and has little chance of living in the deserts of Morocco, while Brad Pitt desperately attempts to find help for her.

Back in the U.S. the illegal alien takes the children to mexico for her son's wedding and runs into trouble from then on out.

I will not tell you the ending.

END SPOILERS.

I did not give this film enough credit and as the film wraps up, I am glad it was an amalgamation of stories leading to one event that changes so many lives. If it had been only one of the stories told in it's entirety, it may not have been as entertaining and gripping to watch.

And yes, there is nudity, asian nudity :drool:

The story at times, as I've said, is gripping, and we actually feel for the characters several times during the mishmash of stories, especially the story with the illegal alien woman.

Basically, we all struggle to communicate, and its not just happening on this continent either. Everyone of us knows what pain feels like though, pain and joy are what we all can see, regardless of language.

I believe having the director being Spanish, greatly influenced where the story went and offers a refreshing and different look at our society. Especially during the crossing the boarder scenes, the failures to communicate between the U.S. and Mexico only seem to cause needless problems.

One of the points of this film, except the Japan part, is that we need to learn to respect one another and break down the barriers of communication that exist in our modern world. Sure we rely on technology (Japan point) but maybe we rely on it too much. We take it for granted when its not available to us.

I say Babel had a good shot at best picture but in the end, the Defarted was still my top choice.

Acting is good across the board, cinematography is stuboyfilming (but not Ridley Scott Stuboyfilming) and it's well done, sound is excellent in this film.

Babel gets 3.4 stars out of 4.

I see London, I see France, I see more than just your underpants.

Buff...Buff...Tonka.... Nope, wrong actor, sorry.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews