Napoleon Dynamite (Napoleon is a Dork)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Napoleon Dynamite (Napoleon is a Dork)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 23rd, 2005, 2:06 am

In high school, I was not one of the popular kids. I was one of those band camp, stage techie, stuboys who was never really picked on. However, in Napoleon Dynamite, (Directed by some guy named Jared Hess) we learn that being a complete dork can be cool, especially if everyone around you in your high school acts like they are on Ritalin for ADD.

That pretty much sums up this movie, a bunch of dorky encounters with Dynamite and his disfunctional family. This movie also takes place in Idaho which could explain why everyone acts the way they do.

Anyway, Napoleon goes from taking out this Stu girl to a dance where she ditches him to helping his friend (Pedro) who is taking too many Ritalin pills. I kind of thought this movie was a little stu. I think it got a lot of attention at Sundance last year but all those art films usually do. I guess it also depends on what kind of mood you are in to really appreciate these movies. It's not a bad film, but there was also nothing really special about it and the characters become annoying after awhile. I kept on wishing someone would light their flatch on fire to spice things up but that never happened. Anyway, I give this film about 2 out of 4 stars. Cause it's just flippen stu, gosh.
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 23rd, 2005, 2:26 pm

I agree Wuss, in some aspects I liked the movie but in other aspects it was irritating. What I really appreciated was it probably captured the essence of those hessian towns in SE ID including Montpelier, Stuboy Springs, etc.... I honestly believe the ppl there are like that. Whenever I drove down to GR from Missoula I never stopped from Pocatello to Cokeville as I didnt want to associate with ppl such as in the movie, they captured those hessians well. What I found irritating was how stu the characters in the movie were, i just wanted to kick their asses!!!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Beat the Hessian

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 23rd, 2005, 7:26 pm

Yes Leeroy, those people up there lack common sence and are poor because they are so stu that they never learned anything usefull in high school. I truley believe that some of that state is Ass-backwards, and they like it that way. For one, you have your white supremecist to the north and then you got your mormons to the south all making this a conservative, GWB state. However, if you listen to the Republican Broadcast Network on short wave or on the internet radio, even the white supremecist, militia men, freedom fighters hate Bush cause he is an idiot and a Neocon whose only goal is to make the New World Order happen. I get pissed off listening to them to although some of their conspirousy theories are interesting.
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews