V for Vendetta (V for Vag..etta)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

V for Vendetta (V for Vag..etta)

Postby TheStuboy » March 22nd, 2006, 7:37 pm

V for Vendetta stars Natalie Portman, John Hurt, Hugo Weaving (although we don't know that) and Steven Hea.

(SPOILERS BELOW)
Its some years after 2015 and Back to the Future II has already happened, yet society still looks the same as it did in 2006. Problems that are happening now are greatly amplified at this time including the war in Iraq which makes it's appearance known several times. The United States has all but demolished itself from civil war with George W supporters vs. smarter people (honestly, see the film you will laugh you're ass off). Clearly the UK has become the center of the world in this postmodernist ridden society. The reason this has happened? George W fucked up the USA and caused a massive civil war simply because he was a dumbass. See the movie, its hilarious.

Our fateful story begins with some guy corpsing and then a few more guys almost corpsing at the hands of a masked of the phart spasmed character simply named V. He saves the damsel in distress (Portman) from oates and proceeds to oates her himself at his underground lair. All this while playing the girl from ipanema. V is a strange fellow, who knows quite a bit about classical poetry including the works of Shakespear. He often quotes passages before corpsing his victims and blowing up crap with cow pies.

Meanwhile, the Avian flu and another kang virus are killing the stu citizens of the UK one by one, and no one seems to care. Natalie Portman is forced to oates, I mean stay with V for an entire year until Nov 5, when he plans to clog the sewers of London and blow up a building. She escapes and ends up getting caught, but here a twist happens, and i won't reveal it. Its also where the film's first, but not last, slow moment happens.

V shings and corpses more people all the way up until the end and the fateful toilet clogging begins. All the while, a stu detective is trying to figure out wtf is going on, as are we the audience.

This is V for Vendetta.

SPOILERS ARE OVER NOW>>>>

V for Vendetta runs a bit long in my book, minute wise. Its just over 2 hours long, but still, it suffers from a slow second act and contains many stu action sequences you've already seen in the trailer. While I wasn't terribly dissapointed with this film, and actually believe it to be better than the previous two films I've seen, I still must digress from giving this film 3 stars out of 4. The only reason I can possibly find is the two prevailent slow moments in the film that drag on too long and are just not needed. The other reason is the kang action sequences where people are corpsing. While the first act's corpsings are entertaining, the second act kind of struggles, but it does end well, and thank god it did end. There will be no sequels to this film rest assured. Natalie Portman was a good choice for her character, even though she struggles a bit to stay into character, particularlly after the first half.

V for Vendetta is one of those movies that some will consider all action and cool sequences, while others see the slow side and say its a sleeper hit. I'm in between on this one though. V for Vendetta is entertaining, and is a powerful reminder of what the future of the USA will look like if things with W. continue running their course. I loved the references to current events in this film and believe it to be yet another take on 1984 with a totalitarian government run by some guy's (John Hurt's) head on a screen. Great postmodernist film set in relatively modern London.

V for Vendetta gets 2.89999 stars out of 4. Its not half bad but you will notice the slow moments because they stick out like a sore thumb.

"Now watch as I shing you while saying scary words that begin with V for the next half hour"
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

V for Vendetta - (V for Vagina)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » March 26th, 2006, 6:46 pm

I have to disagree with Stuboy on this one. I was on my vacation to my woman's parent’s house in the Bay area...That’s San Francisco for all you diligent UBSTUdios readers who live in Red States. After walking around the University of California, Berkley, we decided to see a movie in Berkley. Since my woman chose to see Failure to Fart, I got to choose the movie this time.

I had already had wanted to see this movie because I knew it was about GWB and what will happen to the good ol' USA in a couple years if Republicans remain in control. I had seen the previews and the cool posters and thought hey, this movie could seriously kick some ass. I must say that V has some of the best posters for movies I have seen in a long time. So what did I think about the movie....

This movie should be called "B for Boring". Like Stuboy said this movie is slow, and the slow parts drag down the momentum of the movie. V is played by Hugo Weaving who is the evil Mr. Anderson in "The Matrix" and one of the hea elves in Lord of the Rings. His mask is a little dorky and I found his character stiff. He was especially stiff when he did his poetry and his kang dancing before he shinged his victims. Natalie does an ok job acting...way better than anything in Star Wars. She proves that she can shave her head and act like Sigourney Weaver, Sinead O'Connor, and Bruce Willis.

The story was a good one and I liked the message, the part I could understand. The rest of the movie was glorified violence and crappy fireworks special effects. Overall, I give this movie 2.25 stars out of 4 because of the slow parts and stiffness.

V: "Remember, Remember, the bore of November. To kill you, I will bore you to death with Shakespeare, The Girl from Impanema, my bad breath, my stock of girl clothes in which I have just for Natalie Portman when I kidnap her, my 10" wang, my stiff mask...the point is...your alive when they start to eat you.

Bad guy: "Hey V. That last line was from Jurassic Park. You are a dumb ass.”

V: "For that, I shall personally shing you where the sun doesn't shine. But first, let me recite a like from Macbeth. What dos't thou Nut Sac say? Present thy nut sac so thou shall shing upon thee. "
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews