The Matador - (The Manthador)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

The Matador - (The Manthador)

Postby TheStuboy » February 1st, 2006, 5:38 pm

The Matador stars Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear, along with Hope Davis.

First off, I saw it Wednesday at the Megaflatch Gayway 12 at the Gayway. This theater, though at one time was my preferred theater, is quickly becoming a crappy theater, let me tell you why.

Other than the fact that they didn't show Oatesback Mountain, forcing me to drive 15 miles in shitty traffic just to see it rather than ride the trax, they are just plain rude and dumb at this theater.

I bought my tickets online and picked them up at the ticket office. When I got to the ticket person, he rudely took my ticket away and tore it up and said, here you go, its this way, you go down the hall and take a left. Therefore, I did. They had advertisements outside the theater of which show was playing and when I got to the right auditorium the wrong film was showing there. Therefore, I went and found the right theater (the one he didn't tell me about) and another movie was playing in it as well. I said wtf, and went back to ask him where it was showing and he said it was in theater 12. I went in there and they were showing crappy commercials for local shit. Therefore, they got the theater wrong.

Anyway, the film I saw was The Matador. (SPOILERS BELOW!)

Pierce Brosnan, or Julian, is a rogue assassin who has a hankering for lots and lots of martinis, and a constant turtle problem. He is also in Mexico City at the very moment. Greg Kinnear is a business man who is from Denver, and who’s house gets attacked by a tree, and whom is looking for a job, and he has a very important interview in Mexico City, and the two just happen to be staying at the same hotel. Anyway, their friendship begins at a bar in that hotel over 3 or 4 martinis. Greg Kinnear gets interested in Piece’s career, however Pierce does not want to tell him just yet about his facilitating to kill people job mostly because Greg thinks Pierce is kang. Anyway, the two become good friends, until Pierce mistakenly asks Greg to help him out on his latest job. Greg declines and we go 6 months later. We are now in Budapest and see Pierce losing his abilities to keep his job going, probably because he had too many martinis.
So, he arrives in Denver and after a night of drinking, convinces Greg to help him on his last job before he is killed. Greg helps but Pierce has a sudden turtle attack and can't do it, so Greg kangly talks him through it and the movie ends. Enough said
Cons:

The story of this film jumps around (if you didn't get it from above) excessively much and we're often left wondering wtf just happened, and what is its significance to the plot. This is what kills the movie; there is just too much going on without real need or reason to forward the story. Also, its often slow and sluggish, I say often, I mean the whole movie is. Even though its 1 hr 47 mins, it seems like a 3-hour movie. The story the way it is leads room for improvement, particularly in the aspect of character development. At times things seem rushed, including the acting. Hope Davis, as good looking as she may be, was not a great actress in this film at all, and even Greg wasn't one with his character.
You often felt like something that would happen should, but you only are left disappointed when things don't go where they should have. For example, (SPOILER) Greg should have helped Pierce on his first job, this would have livened the story and movie up 10 notches. Instead he wusses out. Now another problem I found with this film is that it’s listed as a comedy and is rated R for strong sexuality and such, but it fails to produce either. It just isn't very funny. Maybe someone with a ton of Martinis under their belt would laugh, but I only chuckled a few times during this film, particularly when I knew something was going to happen (see the beginning). The Matador reminds me a lot of Oceans Twelve, annoying titles and all, however it is at least a bit better than OT, though not by much. I was honestly disappointed. 2 stars out of 4, look for a preview for a sort of cool looking movie coming out called Pulse.

"Damnit, Daniel Craig might just be a better Bond then I was, I might just have to assasinate him as well, no wait, I'll persue that KO over there first"

"Do these glasses make me look like Richard Dreyfuss?"
"No, I think you look more like Greg Kinnear than you do Richard Dreyfuss"
Last edited by TheStuboy on February 2nd, 2006, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Elll

Postby Kaing of Kaings » February 1st, 2006, 7:15 pm

It's a good thing I didn't go and see that movie then even though it hasn't come here yet. Anyway, It looks like Good Night and Good Luck is coming back out to theaters or being released wide. I look forward to seeing that along with Capote and then my best movie oscar list will be complete. I hope Crash doesn't win.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews