Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Pudwhackers: Afterdark)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Pudwhackers: Afterdark)

Postby TheStuboy » December 2nd, 2021, 12:03 pm

It has been 31 years since a decent Ghostbusters film has hit the silver screen. We don't count the 2016 boring mess that wasn't funny and was too long. No, we stick to cannon films.
Originally scheduled to come out in 2019, but then moved back to 2020, and again several times into 2021, Pudbusters finally has come. Is it worth the wait? Yes.
GB:ABA is directed by Jason Reitman, who you may know from Juno. He's also Ivan Reitman (director of the og 1984 GB)'s son. I met him at Sundance once.

The biggest star of this film besides the OG Ghostbusters is Paul Rudd. His character is one of the bright spots, and he's painfully underused. The mother character is also nice to look at but she's kind of stu. The kids steal the show.

There might be some mild spoilers ahead, fair warning:
We all know Harold Ramis died in 2014, and what a legend he was. His character Egon, not Eton like the radio, was one of my favorites as a kid. I always liked the science-y nerdy types.

Well, in this universe he's still alive... for a bit. Egon has disbanded the Ghostbusters, taken all of the equipment, and fled to Oklahoma to live alone. He also has a daughter and grandchildren who inherit his house and land. Spooky things are afoot at the Circle K. Anyway, the kids and Egons daughter move to Oklahoma and try integrating with the townsfolk. Egon's granddaughter steals the show as she's smart as hell and funny. She befriends a Corey Feldman like kid named Podcast and they explore what Egon left behind. Hauntings start happening and all hell breaks loose. Anyway, if you've seen the 1984 Ghostbusters, you will recognize the plot and a lot of the references. It felt all nostalgic and warm and gooey, like a Stay-Puft Marshmallow getting run over by a Roomba.

The film is brisk. It doesn't lag like most boring dramas or Let Him Go-Kevin Costly pictures. The comedy is great but sometimes misses and falls flat. There are a few glaring plot holes but the film is so fun I didn't really care. I also wonder why everyone in this town doesn't react when seeing certain things happen but maybe they're all brain dead Trump supporters or something.

But that ending though... man...

I'm a 37 year old, oldballs man and I shed tears uncontrollably at the end. You'll just have to see it to see why.

I felt like I was watching a timeless movie. Definitely one of the best of 2021. Better than Bond, dare I say. It features great casting, and as can be expected... the original cast does make an appearance sans Rick Moranis. The film has a mid and post credit scene that don't add anything to the main film but I can say with confidence that Ghostbusters will be back. Director Jason Reitman, who esteemed Bethesda critics may remember me brushing up against at Sundance, has said he has plans for sequels. I'm in, if they're good like this film is.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife gets a whopping 4 stars out of 5. It has some problems with jokes and some issues with the plot but you don't care. You're here for the nostalgia and the feels. I dare anyone in love with the original series to leave this movie without feels. Don't be afraid to catch fish... I know you want to catch fish... fish with me (Katy Perry).

Why does everyone in the town suddenly disappear when the Ecto-1 drives around?

Are you the key master? No but I'm the sexiest Man alive, and I will show you where my key goes... oates.

Back in 2008, I saw Jason Reitman at Sundance, who had just come off of directing Juno. He stood next to me and told me one day I could be the next Spielberg, but then he said you'll get stu and move to Minnesota where movies aren't made any more, and get old and fart a lot. Thanks Jason for the advice. This photo was taken by me by the way.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews