The Wrong Missy (An Amalgamation of Other Movies)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

The Wrong Missy (An Amalgamation of Other Movies)

Postby TheStuboy » December 13th, 2020, 3:48 pm

This is a review of a movie on Netflix released this year. Since nothing good is out in theaters, everything is on streaming now. With that being said, I will allow Netflatch reviewes here, seeing as how I used to do these when I was getting the DVDs in Laramie and Utah.

The film stars David Spade, and a bunch of Adam Sandler film alumni, considering its a Happy Madison production. This includes Rob Schneider. It also stars a fat Nick Swardson, Adam Sandler's wife, and newcomer Lauren Lapkus.
So, essentially my overall thoughts about this film is that it's a rip off of Heartbreak Kid and Forgetting Sara Marshall, at the barebones of the story and setting.

Spoilers
David Spade works at a company who has a big retreat coming up in Hawaii. His fiance (Sarah Chalke) cheats on him so his friend in HR (Swardson) tries to set him up on a blind date. He ends up meeting a psycho date (Lapkus) who scares him off because she's way too much for him. 3 months later, he is taking a flight and runs into a woman who he has an instant connection with. They try to oates in a closet at the airport but she has to go and gives him her number. Before leaving to Hawaii, he starts texting her to see if she wants to go with to the retreat. She agrees.
On the plane ride we find out that Spade has been texting the wrong girl, the psycho, since both of their names are Melissa. The psycho Melissa surprises him and they go to Hawaii where more shenanigans happen. Eventually Spade falls in love with the psycho, even though his other coworker is attempting to sabotage his relationship.

End spoilers

This film is also similar to Forgetting Sara Marshall. The plot is paper thin, but you know what... SO WHAT! I never did care for the Heartbreak Kid nor Sara Marshall. This film was actually better than those two. It seemed to be funnier. I think this is one of Spade's best films in a while, and that's saying something. He's been in a lot of stinkers including the Grown Ups movies as well as some other Sandler stuff. Nothing will ever compare to Tommy Boy though.

I found myself laughing quite a bit, mostly at how off the wall Lapkus' character was. She is psycho, sure, but also means well. The other chick seemed great but there's no excitement there.

The film kind of stumbles a few times, including an odd threesome scene that goes mostly nowhere.
As I've mentioned, it's not something I haven't seen before, but it was funny enough to be different and the 90 minutes fly by. Rob Schneider is typecast in almost every Sandler related picture these days. He doesn't have much of a part in this film. The main part with Schneider kind of took me out of the film for a little bit, but there was a enough of a pull back in that it didn't bother me. A couple of the parts of this film feel like throwaway gags from other movies, but the core of the film is good.

I will say I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Most Netflatch films like this or Sandler related products are just crap. But this one manages to be above that.

I give the film 3.6 stars out of 5. It was a good way to blow 90 mintues, and plus it's on Netflatch, so Stus can watch it at home.

Yes, I am aware she is psycho.

Yep... still a psycho.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews