Richard Jewell (A Modern Day Donald Trump)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Richard Jewell (A Modern Day Donald Trump)

Postby TheStuboy » December 17th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Well, I'm about to write a review about a movie that is apparently a box office bomb. If you believe Wikipedia that is, which most of the time I do.
Richard Jewell is the story of the titular character who was a security guard during the Atlanta Olympic Games of 1996. He was working security the night the bombing happened and was key to saving many lives. He was the first person to discover the bomb under the bench, and also became the prime suspect.

What followed was a character assassination of Jewell both by the media and the FBI. I remember the bombing, as I was 11 years old. I don't remember the whole "Richard Jewell" part of it. Then again, back then, I didn't take news seriously and thought I was immortal.

The film stars Paul Walter Hauser, who film buffs might recognize as one of the accomplices in the movie I, Tonya. Hauser I swear is type-cast, always playing lower intelligent characters who think they know stuff. Except the real Richard Jewell probably did know these things.
It also stars a sickly-looking Sam Rockwell, Olivia Wilde's bewbs, Jon Hamm being Jon Hamm, and Kathy Bates as a super critical wah lady.

If you know the story, the film retells it. Sam Rockwell becomes Jewell's lawyer, and the two and momma fight the FBI and media who are pretty sure he's the prime suspect. Jon Hamm and Rockwell have some good dialogue together. Not enough though.

Why did I type Donald Trump in the title of this post you ask? WTF does that piece of shit have to do with this film? Maybe Clint Eastwood can offer an explanation to a parallel I saw between the events of 1996 and now. This is just probably me noticing this, maybe, but there's a lot of similarities to the story of these two men:

-Richard Jewell in the movie appears to be mentally deficient in some ways, but smart in others. Almost on the spectrum. Trump is the same way.
-The phrase "Quid Pro Quo" is mentioned in this film. I shit you not.
-The FBI falsely accuses Jewell of being the suspect. Trump has been claiming the FBI has been after him, despite a report just released by the IG that says otherwise (he still doesn't buy it because of who we have as AG).
- The media in this film is made out to be the enemy...need I say more.

However, despite an asshole being president, the differences can't be denied. Jewell was a hero despite not wanting to be one. Jewell was innocent. POTUS isn't.

I do give praise to the cast, except Olivia Wilde comes across as an ultra-bitch who grows a heart (Grinch). I know the real journalists who worked with her real-life counterpart said this movie basically smeared the shit out of her. That's unfortunate, but nobody cares. Especially since she's female. I don't think they really gave her much to do, or cared much about her. Certainly the writers didn't and I doubt Eastwood would.

Overall, I enjoyed the film. Apparently some in the audience did too. They were rooting for Jewell too. I kind of felt sorry for him, but I didn't express it with words. I submitted two mistakes to http://www.moviemistakes.com during the film, a continuity error and an audio problem near the beginning. I will say this film was better than Eastwood's previous effort "The Mule". It's not a film about a crotchety old man who hates everything about society and votes Republican, it's about a mentally incapable president who blatantly commits crimes and gets away with it... er, I mean, a man who saved lives and is a hero, and who's name was dragged through the mud when he only wanted to do the right thing.
RIP Richard.

3.3851873641800collect stars out of 5.
It's currently #8 on my list of best films of 2019 (See previous post here).

The movie is about the destruction of one character, while simultaneously destroying the character of another.
We need more empty chairs to talk to over here. Not enough empty chairs.
-Hamm - "I'm going to open up a MTC right in this room and unleash a superarm on you unless you tell me you were the bomber"
-Rockwell - "Asked and answered"
-Hauser - "Am I being charged for something? Because I'm pretty sure MTC's can't be opened in FBI buildings. They can only exist next to railroad tracks in the middle of nowhere"
-Hamm - "Damnit"
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews