Arrival (Departure)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Arrival (Departure)

Postby TheStuboy » November 27th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Well I certainly know a film that is better than Hacksaw Ridge... Arrival.
Melanie and I saw separate movies last night. She went to see Edge of Seventeen which she said is better than Juno and I chose Arrival. We saw the late show at CEG Theater in Andover, which is about 5 miles from here.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Arrival stars Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, and Forrest Whitaker. If you come to this film expecting balls to the wall Independence Day like alien action, you're going to be disappointed. But, if you come with no expectations and an open mind, you'll leave satisfied. The film tells the story of the arrival (hea) of twelve alien UFOs, who visit select locations across the globe. They don't come out and say hea, we're going to declare ball warz, they sit there and wait for the humans to come to them.
Enter Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner. Both study language, and have been assigned to attempt to figure out why the aliens are there. What they find ends up blowing the clothes off of Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner (no sorry, that doesn't happen).

Arrival is a more cerebral film, and I enjoy those from time to time. It's along the same lines as Interstellar, in which the characters think before acting... well most anyway.
I have a feeling that if this really were to happen, it would likely happen like it does in this film. You'd have right-wing assholes attempting to start a war with the aliens because you assume they are there to kill you, and then you'd have level headed people who have brains that say wait, maybe they want something else.

The film is a battle more on the human side of things than aliens. Sure we see the aliens and we hear them interact with the humans, but this is more about the "HUMAN" story than the aliens. It couldn't have come out at a better time either. We're in the midst of what could be one of the worst presidencies in the entire history of the United States with a leader who has skin the size of a centimeter. We have people at the helm of nations who would just drop a nuke and say ah forget about the 7 billion people on Earth, lets do a nuclear winter and some how we will come out ahead. My lord people are idiots. This movie points that out. Our population has become so hung up on who is right and who is wrong that we've forgotten how to do some basic things, like come together for the common good.

If this film is up for anything at the Academy Awards, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be nominated for Best Director, Best Actress (Amy Adams), maybe best supporting actor (Jeremy Renner) and most definitely Best Cinematography. It might gain some special effects nominations too including sound.
The film is slow in places but it builds up to the finale well. There are a couple of confusing parts that re-watches will probably clear up but the more I think about this film the more I liked it. I appreciate a return to films about something instead of mindless action and stupid dialogue.

Arrival gets 4 1/2 stars out of 5. It will easily be in the top 3 films of 2016 (what a shitty year it has been) which means I need to go re-edit my list.

Please God save us from this man.
Not to be confused with this piece of crap film.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews