Brokeback Mountain - (Oatesback Mountain)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Brokeback Mountain - (Oatesback Mountain)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 16th, 2006, 10:32 pm

After spending a day in the four corners region of the US and going to Mesa Verde to see a cool park ranger do a cool walk through of Spruce House Ruins and after eating one of the best steaks I have had in a long time, my lady and I went to see the controversial Brokeback Mountain.

Now, I know there are a lot of homophobes and people out there who are not comfortable with there sexuality that will be saying how could UBSTUDIOS go and see and then support such a movie.... Well I have a message for the Christian Right and all those other people out there who are hateful about Brokeback Mountain and it's subject....URGAY...ha...I mean....get a life.

(Spoilers) Brokeback Mountain is the story of two ranch hands in Wyoming who heard sheep up in the mountains and become close...close friends and even fall in love with each other. Directed by Ang Lee (Crouching Milo, Hidden Mantha) and The Hulk, this movie follows Jack Twist (played by Jake Gyllenhaal) and Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) from there first encounter at the fictional town of Signal, Wyoming, to there years of getting married and having kids and trying to see each other at Brokeback Mountain.

The story is told through about 20 years and we see Jack get married to Anne Hathaway and Ennis get married to Michelle Williams. We see the families have kids but all the while, Jack and Ennis can't wait to see each-other so they can go up in the mountains and "fish" and do other hea things.

This movie is beautifully filmed and has the best cinematography of any movie that came out in 2005. The acting in this movie is also excellent (especially Ledger who drops the, "You're My Child" routine from The Patriot and evolves into a more serious "hea" role. Jake Gyllenhaal did a terrific job too as the lonely Jack Twist who seems only happy when he is with Ennis.

Now for the "Oates" scenes. There is one "Oates" scene that is a little difficult to watch but it doesn't last long. After that, it isn't that tough to watch them "Oates" (especially with their wives) and you start to believe that these two are truly in love... A love that will never be excepted in the real world and prevents them from truly being happy through the film. It is almost sad in a way that they are denied what they truly want and so they struggle to come to grips with life and such.

This movie, while not perfect, is well done and only has a few areas where it was kind of slow. You do feel sorry for the characters (especially Ennis's wife) who struggle through the ordeal. Ang Lee did a good job directing this too and I would except more good pictures (besides The Shitty Hulk) to be directed by him. I give this movie 3.5 stars out of 4. Expect the Christian Right and Rush Limbaugh to ban this movie at more theaters because they are stu and have nothing better to do than to hate something they don't understand.

Heath: "Hey. Do you remember that line I did in The Patriot where I was like "I'm not a Child" and Mel Gibson was like "You're My Child!" ?

Jake: "Yea. Those guys over at the UBSTUDIOS forum always say that in their movies and that is their favorite line I guess."

Heath: "Yea, I know. I was thinking about incorporating that into this movie but I bet the theaters in Salt Lake City, Utah and all those Hessians in this GWB country would be outraged if I said that in this movie. I bet the theaters in SLC would ban this movie saying it is controversial because I said "UR MY CHILD".

Jake: "That’s pretty Kang."
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 25th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Just got back from seeing this at my new preferred theater, the Century 16, in South Salt Lake.

Well after seeing Brokeback Mountain, I have to agree with Kaing. -To all those opposed to the content of this movie- GET A LIFE

I am really glad that I got a chance to see this because now I know how much Larry Miller is a dumbass. I bet he didn't even see this film, did he?
Objectionable content? Huh, where is it, I couldn't see any. All I see is a well done love story that just happens to be between two guys. SO THE HELL WHAT? If you haven't entered the 20th century yet, it is 2006 and times have changed. -hint Mormons-

I found this movie to be thoroughly entertaining and deffinitely a must see for those of you who think it has objectionable content. Watch it and judge for yourself, don't go saying its a bannable movie without even seeing it first.

SPOILERS BELOW

The story begins with a fat Randy Quaid giving Heath and Jake a sheep herding job for the summer. Their job is simply to herd the sheep from one point to another, and without much trouble. During this magnificent trip through the Canadian Rockies (supposed to be Wyoming) Heath and Jake find they have soon have more than a friendship, they actually share feelings for eachother (see anything wrong yet?). Heath gets married and so does Jake, but they just can't keep from seeing eachother, like the really good friends they really are. However, this causes problems with each of the friends already rocky marriages, and things begin to get worse, particularly for Heath, who already has two daughters and whose wife, though hot, divorces him. Jake and Heath continue to meet on a semi regular basis at the famed Brokeback mountain place to just hang out and fish etc and enjoy eachother's company. I wont give away any more, go see it.

Anyway, this movie, like Kang says, has THE best cinematography I have seen all year, and this is thanks to the locations chosen. Wyoming doesn't look that beautiful, believe me, I live there. However, I did feel like I was in Wyoming, which is a good thing, mainly because the story requires it. Also, Wyoming is one of a few places where you can still be a cowboy and get away with it. -what am I saying, I hate country music-.

Oh well, the cinematography was what made the film along with it's terrific acting. This is the best I have seen from Jake Gyllenhaal ever. I mean that. Heath "You're my Child" Ledger was outstanding too as the quiet, but smart Ennis Del Mar.

One aspect I also loved about this film was the sound. I think this deserves the oscar for best sound editing, best cinematography and best director.
This film does pull a Munich however, which seems to be becoming a fad lately in Hollywood.

The Munich this film pulls however is much less obvious than what the real Munich did. The ending in this film does get a bit sluggish and you're left wishing something would happen at times, but they had a wonderful story to tell and it couldn't possibly end any other way.

3.8 stars out of 4, deffinitely Oscar material.

See it before you judge it. The scenes in question are NOT THAT BAD! THERE IS NO NUDITY OTHER THAN NORMAL HOLLYWOOD NUDITY (WHICH MEANS WOMEN.) Larry Miller should be kicking his own ass for not showing this, because it is a wonderful film, and he is a total dumbass in the first place...well think about it, he owns half the fking town!

-Freddie Farz Jr.- 1-25-06
Last edited by TheStuboy on January 25th, 2006, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 25th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Ell, I havent read the reviews yet, Im probably going to see this movie this weekend. hea hea kang kang
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby leeroy_t » January 30th, 2006, 10:30 pm

Well, I finally saw Kangback Mtn and I agree with you two, the hype about the gay cowboys is all ridiculous and totally overplayed by the media who obviously havent seen the movie. I agree the movie is well done, beautiful scenery, Wyoming uhhhhh Alberta is very green.

The kangness starts as heath and jake have a ballwarz in their tent set up near a South Pass, WY rest stop. The kangness continues throughout the years, but after a while of watching the movie you dont even think about the two stars of the movie as being Kang, you just think of them as having any other of the many relationships that are going on during the movie. I agree the movie is kind of sad and Jake Gyllenhall is turned into a corpse after he comes onto the not so Kang Texan, that is my theory. I guess he had heard the Steers and Queers saying, the guy did look pretty kang after all.

Props to Heath Ledger for his Wuss like Wyoming accent where he acts like he is chewing a piece of turtle over every word he says.

I disagree with stu, not too many slow parts in the movie to me, I thought the director moved pretty quickly through scenes eventhough something important may have happened. No KANG SHLONG here where we have to watch an hour long ship voyage to get to the hot shlong on ass action.

Overall, I would give the movie a 3.5 out of 4 stars. I expect this movie to win many an oscar this awards season.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews