Munich - (Stunich)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Munich - (Stunich)

Postby leeroy_t » January 3rd, 2006, 10:08 pm

Ell, I saw Munich over the weekend. Highly recommend you stus see this movie as it is one of Senor Spielbergos best. IT is quite a long movie, but unlike KAng Kong I wouldnt cut a whole lot out of the movie, especially the naked scenes! Anyways I give it 3.7 out of 4 stars. I wont give away any spoilers, but look for lots of good action, ppl turning into corpses, bombs going off while people are turtling, and a little hea french guy who seems to know everything about everyone. One thing to watch for is when Milo makes his debut as a serious actor in this movie, watch for his cameo.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Munich - (PUnich)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 7th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Elll- I just saw Munich and here is what I think. DO NOT read below if you have not seen this movie and don't want it spoiled.

Munich is Senior Spielbergo's latest. It deals with the aftermath of the 1972 Olympics Palestinian terrorist attacks on Israel’s athletes. As history knows, 11 of the hostages were killed, and I think many of the terrorist were killed as well. However, the masterminds of this tragety got away and were considered hero's in their home country. This is where Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, and three other guys come in to do some mopping up.

Eric Bana's character is charged with running a purposively elite assassin squad who are sent to Europe to kill 11 Palestinians who allegedly had some connection to the 1972 Terrorist attack by Black September. With the help of a French guy who goes Hea and does know everything, the Quintet set off across Europe and blow up some terrorist. (MAJOR SPOILER) However, along their journey, they begin to question what they are doing...if it is right. After all, violence breeds violence and perpetuates itself, right?

I applaud Spielberg for taking this approach to the story being told. You can see Eric Bana and the other four characters questioning what they are doing and the results of those questionings. Eric Bana is a good actor and I look forward to Daniel Craig being the next James Bond. Craig is a good actor as well. The other guys did a good job acting too, especially the bomb guy.

Now about the movie. This isn't Spielberg's best movie...I still think Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan are better. That’s not to say this is a bad film, but unlike what Leeroy Turtlehead thought, this movie suffered from what King Kong suffered....bloat. Both movies would have been masterpieces if the editor would of taken some extra scenes out or the director left some of the scenes out that didn't further the story. Like Leeroy says, though, there wasn't as much to cut out here as I believe in King Kong.

At times, this movie is boring and drags on a little. But when it does pick up, Spielberg knows how to build the suspense and some of the action sequences are top notch. The acting is well done in this movie too. The actual Munich terrorist attack was intense as well, but I noticed a continuity error (see if you can catch it Stuboy). I was impressed with Milo's turn as a serious actor and he had to lose a couple pounds for this role though. He did it nicely though and even had some boobies rubbed in his face for it.

Overall, I will give this movie 3 and a half stars. It's not a bad movie at all...the story is good and the message is good too. It makes you think. It's just at times it seems to drag on.

Daniel Craig: "Look Senior Spielbergo....My name is James Bond.... I like it shaken not stirred."

Eric Bana: "Oh, will you just shut up with that act. Your not Bond yet."

Spielberg: "Hea....Do you always talk with food in your mouth."

P.S. Movies to look forward too in 2006 are:
Inside Man
Firewall
The Da Vinci Code
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby leeroy_t » January 7th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I agree it could have been cropped down a little bit, but i thought the action scenes carried the rest of the movie much better then kang kongs slow parts.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

Postby TheStuboy » January 14th, 2006, 9:19 pm

While this movie was indeed long, it wasn't a bit long. How can you possibly tell a 3-6 year story in the space of 3 hours?

I actually believe this film to be better than Kang Kong, on many levels.

One, the story kept me interested. Knowing nothing about what happened at Munich, I am now fully aware, and this is what the film is and did do. As Stuber said, four assassins are assigned to kill 11 palestinian terrorists after the wake of Munich (which we see what happened progressively through the film - nicely done).

Eric Bana is now on the list of my favorite actors, as well as Daniel Craig. Both deserve heavy recognition for their roles in this film, especially Bana. This is probably the film that has the best acting I have seen in 2005-06 (we'll see about Heaback Mtn).

Spielberg instantly becomes my friend because of his lack of CGI to aid the film. There are only minute places where CGI is used, but its hard to notice with the suspense and action that is the first and second act of the film. I applaud the non-use of computer generated stuff because it just makes things seem hoaky and too cheesy (see King Kong). This is another aspect that seperates Munich from King Kong, lack of CGI, which is a good thing in this case.

I rarely do this, but this is one of the first times in a long time that I actually got into a film and didn't care what else was going on. It would have been better had the lady next to me not dumped popcorn all over me and the stu people behind me not predicting that one guy would be dead. Also, if supreme wouldn't have called me in the middle of the film, luckily, I had vibrate on!

Milo's performance deserves a Roscoer (Cat Oscars) for his short, but powerful performance as the slim kitty who gets boobs shoved in his face.

I suspected something was up with that chick to begin with.

I give this film, a whopping 3.7 stars out of 4. It was long, and kind of falls apart toward the end, but the rest of the movie is DVD material! Booyah

You can quote me on this movie "A powerful and depressing look at one of history's forgotten events that shocked the world, and at the helm is Spielberg, what more could you ask for?"

Fuzzy guy on the left:"See, there is the script supervisor, and right next to him is the sound recordist"
Eric Bana: "Whats this thing hanging above the car?"
Fuzzy guy: "Thats the mic recording ambient noise."

More movies to look for in '06
Inside Man staring DENZEN
Flight 93, the first official film that has 911 as a subject (fahrenheit was a docustu not a film)
and a possible Sundance winner - Thank You For Farting.

Elll, Hollywood trend to look out for: After King Kong bored 30% of audiences in the first part of the movie, filmmakers are deciding that people's attention spans simply aren't what they used to be so they are producing shorter movies that get to the point instead of taking an hour to do so as King Kong did. Something to watch for, as Munich caught on just in time and, while still long, did NOT need anything cut out. The film wouldn't be as good as it is had those parts not existed.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Ballflatch

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 16th, 2006, 9:52 pm

The more I think about Munich, the more I like it. However, I still think Kang Kong was better at entertaining but not as Oscar worthy as Munich.

I also wanted to point/counter point on some of Stuboy's comments. While I don't really like movies that use heavy CGI anymore, King Kong is an exception. Excluding the brontosaurus scene, the CGI was done really well in Kang Kong as Peter Jackson's movies all tend to do. You can't tell the story of Kang Kong without CGI unless you want to go back to Claymation or a guy in a suit.

Also, while the acting was excellent in Munich, Naomi Watts, Jack Black, and Adrian Brody did do a good job to in Kang Kong. Anyway, thats my hea of the day.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » January 16th, 2006, 10:24 pm

While yes, King Kong wouldn't have been what is without CGI, its the over use (see the insect scenes or any of the traveling boat scenes as examples) of it really hurt the film for me. I'm just numbed by too much CGI and the movie becomes laughable. Yes King Kong was a good movie, but its more like a computer game. Munich wins because it focuses on story rather than how things look, and thats the reason I think its better...and I don't care if you think King Kong is better, I don't.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

URGAY

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 16th, 2006, 10:35 pm

I'll beat you like a red headed step Mantha if you don't watch out and Wash your butt....wash your butt....wash your butt for good.

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews