Doom - (Stoom)

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Doom - (Stoom)

Postby Kaing of Kaings » October 23rd, 2005, 5:56 pm

Remember the days of Doom. Running around the moon of Mars (Phobos or Fear) and shooting at Oinkers, Boasters, and the scariest of them all, Old Ashmacka himself. I remember many a wasteful day playing that game and I loved it. Where else can you get scared from a video game? The first time I made it to the Old Ashmacka Level, I was scared shitless. Honestly, a video game had never scared me like that, and this was Doom 1. I have never played the other Dooms but from what I hear, the Third is the Scariest.

Now to the movie. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson whom I have grown alot of respect for since he seems like a pretty cool guy from interviews, plays Sarge. Sarge is the leader of a rag tag space marine group that is sent to Mars through a booger flinging Space warp thing called the Ark.

On Mars, the shit has hit the fan. Dorky scientist are running everywhere from scary monsters that were created by Scientologist to originally convert mankind. But now, Genetic experiments have made the Scientologist go ape shit and kill the scientist.

Its up to The Rock and his group to secure and destroy any scary monster on the research center on Mars. While there, they meet the Knock Out scientist Dr. Samantha (Mantha) Grimm (Played by Rosemond Pike (Die Another Day)). Rosemond Pike basically nips out and gets scared through most of the movie. Her twin brother John Grimm (Karl Urban...Lord of the Rings and The Bourne Stupremacy) is a bad ass who doesn't take shit from anybody. Karl's performance was probably the strongest of the movie.

Anyway, this movie was basically a dumbed down version of the classic movie, Aliens. While that may sound degrading to the movie, I actually didn't think it was that bad. Yea, many of the critics blasted it and I can partially see why. But the purpose of this movie was to entertain. I was especially impressed with the First Person shooter scene. That was actually impressive, I thought. I didn't think the special effects were that bad either. While this is no perfect movie, I would have to give it 3 out of 4 stars for being entertaining. I don't imagine it will hold up well over time but for anyone who likes to see the Rock act and Karl Urban be a bad ass, I would recommend this movie.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » October 23rd, 2005, 6:50 pm

Kaing I strongly disagree with you, while the movie is entertaining yes, I thought the acting particularly on behalf of the Rock was laughable and extremely stiff. The story wasn't there, the first person shooter does not look good on film, its a waste of an hour and 40 minutes that I will never get back.

While I am a fan of the Doom series and also have spent whole days playing it, I am not a fan of this movie. I think, given that I played the third game, this movie does an extreme diservice to the series. The makers should be ashamed. I would have liked for the movie to follow the original story line and be on the moons of Mars, but 50% of this movie takes place on Earth?? Wtf? And even when we're on Mars, we never know we're there because we don't ever see it except for the beginning which was nicely done. The Universal logo is not Earth, its Mars.

On top of that, it takes forever for the film to get going in the first place. The first of the team doesn't get uahhh until like 40 minutes into the film, time is mostly spent walking around, and saying worthless oneliners like "game time" and a guy that looks like Leeroy Turtlehead getting high off of steroids. The movie isn't scary, it isn't that gorry, it isn't even deserving of the R rating except for the language maybe.

I also thought the bad ass guy was the best actor. The Rock, while he is in the right part here, doesn't fit the script. I cringed when I saw that one scene with him and the twins in the science lab. The words seemed so stiff it made me laugh. What----the----hell---didyoudo----here.....hea. We...genetically....engineered....humans...to...bea..t....manthas...

If you are a hardcore fan of the series, you may be a bit dissapointed, but if you're just looking for something to entertain you for an hour and a half, you'll be just fine. I'm in between, and I'm dissapointed still.

2 stars out of 4, for trying to be a good movie but failing not miserably, but pretty badly.

For once I have to agree with Ebert on this one, "Doom is like some kid came over and is using your computer and won't let you play."
Ebert has just gotten a point up for marking this one down. I usually don't agree with some of his reviews, but I give him an A+ for this one, shoulda listened.

I saw this at the MegaFlatch 12 at The Gateway Mall in downtown SLC, most shops everrrrr. I took the TRAX to the Dueelllta Center this time, and walked a block and a half. This is now my perferred theatre given its closer to the trax stations and isn't all the way into the slums of SLC as the Century Flatch 16 is. The seating is also better, and the asthetics of the theater are better as well.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » October 23rd, 2005, 7:33 pm

That reminds me, out of all the movies coming out this holiday season, I want to see Jarhead the most. I am a fan of the cast and particularly the director Sam Mendes. You might remember him from such films as American Beauty, or Road To Perdition.

I also want to see The Weather Man some time within the next couple of weeks. These might be the only good movies of the year, lets certainly hope.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Jughead

Postby Kaing of Kaings » October 23rd, 2005, 8:40 pm

I agree Stuboy. The Jarhead preview looks kick ass. Plus it has some cool actors in it like Jake Gayinhal (Sp), Jamie Foxx, and Peter Sarsgaard. Looks like a cool movie. Welcome to the SUCK.

Anyway, I went into Doom with low expectations and that's why I wasn't dissapointed. HEA>
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » October 23rd, 2005, 8:46 pm

I still think it was a Kang movie. I went with NO expectations.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews