The 40 year old virgin

Anything and everything related to Hollywood can be posted here. This includes news and premiere events etc. Also we accept movie reviews.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

The 40 year old virgin

Postby leeroy_t » September 12th, 2005, 8:52 pm

I was very excited to see this movie as I thought it was a biography of our uncle boob. Boob, a flatchulent suburban chicagoan music teacher meets a wa named carrie with two ko daughters and proceeds to go on a million dates set up especially by granny. After 700 dates boob finally proposes to get married to his wa love. Leeroy turtlehead travels down to the wedding from Wisconsin but is 4 hours late because he has to pick up his wa lady in milwaukee and elroy von snotenbugers' boss at mcdonalds wouldnt let him out early so the wa lady cries as not only did we miss the wedding, we missed the reception and the newlyweds are off doing it before we even arrive. Boob commences to last 15 seconds on his first attempt to concieve your my child and Sarah hea girl is born! For real movie actually watch, it was a funny good original movie, its about time we have got something other then an armahessian remake like most studios are currently producing. 3.7 out of 4 stars.
Oh Leeroy what a knockout!
leeroy_t
Clogged many a toilet.

40 Year Old Surgeon and two other reviews for ya!

Postby TheStuboy » September 18th, 2005, 7:23 pm

Today I was able to make it to the 2:35 showing of 40 Year Old Virgin at the Century 16 Salt Lake (which is actually in Millcreek) and I got there not by car, but by UTA TRAX. The latter two will be reviewed in a minute but I want to concentrate on the film first.

(WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD)
40 YOV stars Steve Carell, whom you might remember from such shows as the Daily Show and such films as Bruce Almighty. Any who, Steve has a problem, he is 40 and he has never had Oates. Steve’s reluctant buddies, (one of whom is Paul Rudd whom I have seen before but can't remember where) find this out when he makes a stu of himself during a poker game (spoiler and more to come.) So they propose a mission to get him Oates. At first he is a total stu and can't get any luck and also ends up getting barfed on (don't worry, that hot girl returns later). Then a series of misadventures with Steve happen including some hilarious flashbacks to his younger years when he almost, but never got Oates. The movie drags on until Steve meets a girl while telling her VCRs are dead technology (Hollywood waking up eh?). This girl owns an eBay shop across from where Andy (Steve) works so he decides to pursue this. Steve finds out that the girl he loves has kids, he goes on a date with that barfing chick again, then he marries the girl with the kids and he FINALLY gets Oates. That’s basically the movie.
Now, the review:

Seeing this movie by myself did have some impact on it, I would have probably had a better time had I been with Jenn_Jenn. I don't know why Hollywood thinks that endless jokes about bodily functions are funny anymore. I've just seen so much of it that I've become numb to it anymore. This movie has to be the rudest, crudest movie ever, but it still has quite a few funny moments.
I mean, you can't think saying the f word or the p word 30 times in less than 5 minutes is funny. Is this how real guys talk? As I said before, I've become numb to this sort of comedy; it just doesn't do as much to me as it once did. I can say I've seen it before. There is nothing wrong with the movie plot wise but when it comes to the dialogue and the endless perverted gags, it’s just not funny. There is hope however, a few of the scenes including the ending are surprisingly funny, you actually feel for Steve when he gets his chest waxed.
Acting is what you'd expect for a typical guy movie: okay, but eh, I've definitely seen better. Camera movement was par, as was any other aspect of the film except the story.

There are a few inconsistencies and plot holes that I won't mention (see moviemistakes.com) and it kind of leaves you hanging at some points. Mysteriously, the characters know where the other characters live, and know what time to go get them without asking. Of course that is common in movies now days.

I give this film 2 1/2 out of 4 stars for trying to be funny, but barely getting there. It was worth the UTA TRAX ride, and it was worth the $5.75 I shelled out for it.

Now the theatre is in a peculiar place. It’s WAAAAAYYY down to the southwest of here on 3300 S and State Street. It is called the Century 16 Salt Lake. At first glance it looks like a big ass building, and indeed it is. 16 screens are crammed in there. You walk in and the ticket booth is to your right, the concessions right in front of you and so on and so forth. I was surprised how cheap tickets were. There is no possible way anyone could sneak a camera into this place, it’s got its own bouncers and security cameras everywhere (I didn't check the bathroom). Not that I believe in pirating movies, I think its moronic and cheap. But rest assured, you could not film one in this theatre. I give the theatre 4 stars out of 4 for being high class with friendly old fart staff.

As far as the UTA TRAX, I was intimidated to ride SLC's light rail system at first. The train I took started at a stop nearby and went straight downtown to the Delta Center. I have a pass that the school provides for free so I can ride the light rail any time I want. Any who, the train whizzed downtown to the Gallivan center where I got off and got on another train headed south into Sandy oh oh. I got off at the 3300 S. stop and walked 4 city blocks to the theatre, quite a walk. The TRAX are a good idea, I love them and will use them any time I have to go downtown. Seeing as how no one checked my ticket either way, I could have technically been on it for free. It’s a great way to save gas and they are fast. They kind of remind me of the Metra trains heading into Chicago (as seen in Trip of Chicago and Squelch) though these aren't as fancy and a bit slower with more stops, but still very convenient.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

40-Year Old Bore

Postby Kaing of Kaings » January 2nd, 2006, 5:57 pm

Ell, I watched this movie last night with my Jenni, and I must say, this movie is boring. I kept on waiting for it to get funny but it never really happened and when it did, it was a half-assed funny. I don't really like Steve Carrell either. I don't think he is the next funny man in Hollywood. There is just something about his acting style that annoys me. Lots of KOs in this movie but for the most part, it is stu.

I give it 2 out of 4 stars for being some what entertaining but overall a bore. Wedding Butt Bashers was better.
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Hollywood/Television News/Reviews