Eric Clapton in Concert

All flatch all the time. For musicians and fans and Butthesda critics and engineers and nerds and for anyone who's ever wanted to make a loud noise by beating a mantha. No RIAA allowed.

Moderators: leeroy_t, TheStuboy, Kaing of Kaings

Eric Clapton in Concert

Postby Kaing of Kaings » March 25th, 2007, 1:59 pm

On Sunday night, March 11, 2007, Eric Clapton came to Phoenix to stink up the place. My woman was excited to see him and I was hoping to hear some of my favorite songs of his including his 80's stuff. We ate supper at the usual spot, Fridays at Chase Field, Home of the Diamondbacks, and made our way to the US Airways Stadium.

The concert started on time except it wasn't Clapton playing. I can't remember his name but it was some Blues player that always plays along with Clapton on his albums. That concert lasted for about 30 minutes and it was all blues...A sign of things to come.

After the Coleflatch blues player got off the stage, it took Clapton about a half hour to get his ass on stage. I figured he was taking a massive dump like all performers, especially Coleflatch, do before the show. Lord knows I would get out there and get gut rot instantly in front of millions of fans. Anyway, Clapton came on stage and busted into a blues song I never heard before.

It continued to be this way for 2/3s of the show. Clapton would play a song off one of his blues albums, minus "Little Wing", and bust into a 5 minute guitar solo. After that, he would let his three other guitarist bust into a 5 minute solo until the songs were 25 minutes long. This was getting really old and many people around us were getting restless. Some were even leaving giving up all hope that he would play the songs that originally made him famous.

Of course drunken bastards were shouting out at him and stupid girls were screaming really loud right behind us so that compounded things. I myself was getting antsy and begging for him to play Cocaine or Lay Down Sally. Anything other than blues. Finally, 2/3s in he played "Wonderful Tonight" and the crowd cheered. After that he played "Layla" and walked off the stage. Some people were shouting Encore and some weren't. We all knew he would come back.

When he came back he busted into Cocaine and rocked the crowd. The song went fine until the pianist playing with him started a horrible solo. The guys piano playing was so shitty that it ruined the song. I am not the only one who thought this. My boss and his wife from work were there and thought the same thing. The last song he played was Crossroads and buy that time I was ready to get out of there. It was 11:00 pm and I was tired and had to work the next day.

After the concert, I went to the rest room and I heard some guy saying, "That was the biggest waist of 3 hours in a long time". I kind of agreed with him. Even my woman who was so excited to see Eric Clapton thought the concert blew. Her and my expectations were not met. I wanted him to jam on his old songs I knew and not his new blues stuff no one has heard. He didn't even play anything from his Cream days or his 80s and 90s music. It was a big disappointment. I know the man likes to play the blues but he can play more than just 5 songs that I recognize (4 were his). Don't get me wrong, the man has talent. I just didn't want to hear all blues and no Classic Rock.

That night left me worn out and beaten like a red headed Buki. I was glad the concert was over and don't plan on seeing Clapton again. I will stick to listening to him on the radio or the CD player. Overall, I give the concert 1.75 stars. Worst Concert Yet.

Clapton: "Alright, just when you think you haven't heard enough Blues...Here comes another 30 minute blues song with a solo by my pianist."
Harry: " Whoa, Jesus, Check out the butt on that one."

Lloyd: "He must work out."

Dumb and Dumber
Kaing of Kaings
Mitch D. Umbass

Postby TheStuboy » March 25th, 2007, 11:19 pm

When he came to SLC a few weeks ago, the show was sold out, but from what I heard, it blew probably just as much as this one. I'll take your advice and not see him any time soon. I doubt the concert would have been worth the 80 dollar tickets they had at the Delta, er, Energy Solutions Arena.
"I won, you losht, get ushed to it shon"
Danny Glovershh - Shhootersh.
TheStuboy
Mitch D. Umbass

Return to Musical Flatch